Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G phone switching to 2G in an area where 3G has been switched off

forkboy123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Post Title: Between EH4 and G4 - phone switches to 2G 

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Good mobile network coverage (assume 4G) in Edinburgh. Phone switches to very poor coverage (assume 2G) as I travel to Glasgow. Change usually occurs roughly Shotts/Harthill area.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

Not specific to one postcode area. See above for locations.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Not tried this.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

No error messages, just very slow mobile data.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

Seems my phone (which is 4G capable, and set to 2G/3G/4G Auto, is switching to 2G in the Glasgow area, where the 3G coverage has now been switched off.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Not too sure, but I think around 6-8 weeks ago (?)

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent.

13 REPLIES 13

CallumR

Hey @forkboy123 thanks for reaching out to us and providing the above information. 

With you travelling to Glasgow, your phone may struggle to get a stable connection when trying to connect to numerous masts on the way. Regarding your phone switching to 2G, this may be because 3G has now been switched off and will go to 2G for calls. 

You can check out this link here, to find more information about 3G being switched off. 

Hi Callum. Thanks for the response.

I know where 3G has been switched off thanks. The issue doesn't only arise as I'm travelling - it is happening the whole time I'm in Glasgow.

Yes, as I say in the original post the phone is switching to 2G because 3G is switched off. My question is why is my 4G capable phone, with all the correct settings made (2G/3G/4G auto) switching to 2G and not 4G.

Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to us @forkboy123 When set to auto your phone will always switch to the technology that offers the best connectivity. You could try opting for 4G only in your Settings and seeing if this helps. Travelling can often result in a more unstable connection meaning a 2G connection may be the most reliable in that instance. Whilst you're in Glasgow, there might be an issue with our network - for this you can take a look at our Network Status Checker. If you can pop in a postcode this would result in more accuracy for the area you're in, however entering 'Glasgow' and zooming out does show some maintenance in some areas. If you haven't been able to find any obvious issues, please pop our team a message on our social channels and we'll take a closer look into this. 

Thanks Janey for the speedy response.

Unfortunately my phone can't force 4G only (only the aforementioned 2g/3g/4g auto).

The postcode I'm at in Glasgow when I arrive is G4 0BA. I've already checked the network coverage and your site lists 'Good Indoors and Outdoors' for all active network types (2g, 4g and 5g), for both status and coverage.

Anytime @forkboy123 😁

In that case, I think we'll need to take a closer look. Please could you pop our team a message on the channels in my last post so we can fully investigate this? And if needed we can get a case raised to our Network teams 👍

Will do - many thanks Janey.

Just tried this. I don't have Facebook, Twitter etc. so used the chat functionality instead. I'm guessing this is an AI instead of a human? It couldn't understand my question. 

Ah you've connected with TOBi - this won't be an adviser from our team but they'll still be able to help. The digital assistant will try resolve your query initially, but I usually find just typing 'agent' will get you connected to person. Hope that helps! 

Thanks Janey - will try that.