Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My number is being spoofed

lrubldy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, today I got a call from someone saying that I called her in the morning and she called me back from her call history. However, I never called her - there's nothing on my call history.

After a bit of research, I found out that I might be being spoofed. Someone is using my phone number to call other people.

The person who is claiming to receive a phone call from me has the same initial 6 digits of my mobile number. (75AABB) Is this a coincidence or can scammers only do that?

Is there anything I can do about it? I am really worried to learn that someone can use my phone number to call my bank, my insurance, etc. 

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Please contact customer on 191 or Live chat or the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries and they'll help.

There are some posts via a forum search.

One older.one is Number-Spoofing. 

And some information here https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/10/whos-really-calling-you-an-investigation-into-the-worrying-rise... 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I contacted the support via chat, they wanted me to text "Call" to 7726. So I texted and now am waiting a call from them in 24 hours.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

There's not a lot you can do, they move on and change numbers all the time. Vodafone won't do anything and until networks get their act together and implement better controls for Caller ID (e.g. STIR/SHAKEN), you just have to accept that it can easily happen, and never trust Caller ID when you see a number on your phone.

For some strange reason, people are more likely to pick up the phone if they see a similar number calling them. Why they call it back I have no idea. Never call a number back like that.

Even if a random person called your bank and spoofed your number, they'd need a lot more information about you than just presenting your phone number.