Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Packet loss & Latency issues

danielle_c33
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Having major packet loss and latency issues over the past week, has been fine for 18 months.

I have a SIM which I use primarily for gaming - it's used in a 4g/5g router, and I have had no issues up until recently. I know it's a Vodafone issue as I've tried all 3 of my SIMs and it's the same with all of them yet when I connect to my home broadband the packet loss and latency are fine. 

The reason I don't use the home broadband for gaming is there's too many TVs/Phones connected, and it causes issues, so I purchased a TP link and a 4G sim.

If anyone could help with this issue it would be appreciated as I'm getting nowhere when contacting Vodafone and I'm not tech savvy enough to understand what people are saying online.

8 REPLIES 8

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@danielle_c33 - I'm sorry to hear you haven't been helped when you've contacted our teams before. Please can you enter the postcode of where this is happening, onto our Network Status Checker. If it's not showing any known issues or maintenance, then please get in touch with my team through Social Media

I'm looking for help with exactly the same issue. I have two devices on VF's 4G network.  An iPhone and a 4G router. In my home cell I regularly see 10% packet loss on average. I have intermittent periods of very, very high latency and packet loss, ping times of 2000-3000ms.  Not only is the behaviour identical on both devices/SIMs, but friends and neighbours in the area have also noticed this.  The data service is often unusable. Apparently there is a long term contention or interference issue with VF's 3G/4G mast that serves our village (there is no 5G anywhere near us). This may explain why so many folks use Starlink around here.  I am not far from this cell, pretty much line-of-sight, and have a consistently good quality signal strength  (-66DBm) using an external directional antenna with the 4g router.  Connected laptops etc use wired ethernet, not wifi, for best performance. 

VF's network status checker never reveals any problems of course, because mine and other customers' problems are QoS related, and the data for QoS is not exposed in the network status checker - it is not designed for it.

So I would like to hear from VF. 1) What is the problem with your cell at Pool Road, Hartley Wintey, Hampshire (near

RG27 8TS)?  2) What plans do you have to resolve the contention and/or backhaul issues here?  3) What is your roadmap for 5G here?  I have tried calling in for tech support but nobody is the slightest bit interested or even able to comprehend the issue.   How can I progress this, other than ditching VF? 

Thank you.

I hope you would sort your problem.... It was the same story for me on the beginning no problems great speed great no PL pink ok 50-60 and after over a year with them this thing started.. Packet loss 10-20 % ping 90-140(router still in the same place), support not very helpful, some of them did not even know what is packet loss and i was told that i should not complain as my speed is great... I got 2 new sims cards from them, account reset nothing helped; even got a new router as they suggested it my be my router or network card.... for months i was trying to fight this case until i cancelled my contract and went for the cheapest sim broadband on the market and yes pink is around 70-90 speed not as great but no packet loss at all. and service is 15 quid cheaper. 

Good luck 

Thanks - its time for a change by the look of it.  I've decided I have no choice, so all the VF and Talkmobile SIMs in the household are going in the bin!  Fingers crossed an alternative network has their ##~## together. 

Try smarty they have 1 month rolling contract

KJASTR
4: Newbie

I have exactly the same problem since pretty much the same time you reported it. I even bought new router as I thought that it may be a problem. One day my friend come over with a data sim card from different provider and boom no packet loss no ping jumping. There is definitely and issue at Vodafone end.  

Had the same issue since about the same time. Living in central london SE1.

Have now cancelled my gigacube contract as it’s been so poor.

I have been having this exact same issue for the past 3 months. Doesn't happen with my EE sim in the same router.

The network is fine during the mornings, but it's almost unusable in the evenings.

Repeated "Request timed out errors" when pinging websites. 

Issue starts after mid-day.

Already complained about it thrice, yet no change.