Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra - 4G and WiFi Calling Incompatible

shuntfield
4: Newbie

Hello Everyone.

I have just swapped my phone from the Galaxy S20 Ultra, to the Galaxy S22 Ultra. I did this last Monday.

I just noticed that the S22 I have doesn't allow me to use WiFi or 4G calling. The menu setting isn't even there.

Indeed when I went onto the Vodafone Tool that checks compatibility it says this:

vf_no4g.png

4G and WiFi Calling are enabled on my account,

shuntfield_0-1645972862327.png

So I am just guessing is a new phone "provisioning" thing.

Otherwise, any ideas how to get it resolved?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shuntfield_0-1646155503464.png

Bingo, we have contact! 

The Twitter team said that the "Tech Team" have sent my phone some "Text Messages" and to restart it , so I did and 💥WiFi Calling is on.

So, for the Avoidance of Doubt:
- The Samsung Galaxy S22 - can do WiFi Calling regardless of Software, Source of Origin, or variant.
- The Phone isn't Incompatible.

- You Don't need to Reset the Phone to Factory.

- You Don't need to stand with one leg on a layline, with a divining rod, facing north.

- It just needs Vodafone to their job.

My guess is that the Database at Vodafone that carries IMEI numbers/Devices that are compatible with Generic Access Network, Wi-Fi Calling, VoWiFi or IP Multimedia Subsystem/Session Initiation Protocol (IMS/SIP) applications over IP networks just needs updating to indicate that the S22 Series is compatible with the service.

I have just put my phone on flight mode, and made a call and its working fine.

Thanks to the twitter team, though it shouldn't have to have come to that.

View solution in original position

62 REPLIES 62

Just keep pushing, tell them you want to complain, they get it in the end.

chistery
16: Advanced member

Today I'm getting the "take the SIM out for two minutes" level of support from the Twitter team. I've now been told to contact the completely useless tech support team myself. 

I have had to contact the Tech team again today to get them to send the config messages to enable WiFi calling again since swapping my SIM so waiting for that to come through.

The agent I was talking to linked me to this post. https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/4G-VOLTE-Calling-Third-Party-Handset/td-p/2599154 and stated that they do not support VoLTE on any device not purchased through them and does not sound like they have any intention to support it which goes to show the bad customer service in this regard.

chistery

I don't know why I'm always surprised at the lies that Vodafone staff continue to give out in an effort to get you to go away. 

I don't know either, they had to disable and re-enable my WiFI calling again to get that to start working with the new sim but they are still stating the 4G calling is not supported for phones not purchased through Vodafone.

Quite frankly horrendous service.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please pop us another message over social media @chistery so we can look into it further. 

I'm sorry for any inconvenience @steverainbird - we have limited access to business accounts and they also have different levels of security than a consumer account. This may be why we need to speak to the account manager - they can call us on 191 from any of the business phones or 03333 040 191 from any landline. 

Amanda,  I can see in the myvodafone app that wifi calling is enabled.  It just needs the provisioning messages sent to the phone.  The problem for me or the company administrator is finding someone who understands what you are talking about. They do not have time to go thru that process 20 times before finding someone!

Why are they not enabled by default like it seems every other provider does?

From what I have been told by the Tech team on why VoLTE is not supported on handsets not purchased from Vodafone.

Its a condition/contract set by provider/manufacturer to provide VOLTE support only if headset was purchased through network provider.

So that is their answer on that.

It seems that I wasn't the only one and this is going to drag on, there are now a lot of Disgruntled Flagship Samsung S22 Owners that are pretty unhappy.

Let me say one thing to you, its not your fault, its clearly Vodafone's.

Its Vodafone's, problem its not your phone regardless of where you got it from, whether you paid Pounds, Dollars, Yen, Rupees, Groats, or indeed Guinea's. or perhaps went into a Shop to buy it with No Windows, and a new moon, the Network isn't configuring the phone because it doesn't realise that the phone is compatible probably because no one has told it.

When it leaves Samsung the only difference between the generic BTU variant and the Vodafone VOD variant, is that the BTU version doesn't have all Vodafone's tat spam junk on it, (only Samsung's junk aka Bixby which is the equivalent of a boil on the face) along with probably its logo somewhere. the base version of the phone is identical (unless its a US Qualcomm version).

Quite frankly the more people that post about it, the more likely that they will do something, and stop fobbing customers off getting them to stand on one leg in a rain shower etc, and yes I am being sarcastic, because it truly makes my blood boil when people are treated with contempt.

Further Training Required.

Yes agree, I have raised my frustration with them several times that this practise needs addressing when the other 3 carriers in the UK can provide such services fine on any supported device that fact that Vodafone chooses to restrict it to only their handsets is such a backwards customer service focused approach it is quite astonishing. It's things like this that make you question "Why should I choose Vodafone as my provider of choice?"