Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone 4G dropping connection overnight

kbrownuk
2: Seeker

Hi 

I am based in Devon and use 4G for working from home as the BT Connection is so poor in my area. It has been working fine for many months and had fantastic download speeds in excess of 70mbps at most times however I am  finding that the connection drops overnight after midnight and needs to be rebooted in the morning (sometimes more than once ) to get restored. I am using an external antenna and have been in contact with the manufacturers to look into the issue but they are saying the problem is with the vodafone network.

If the router is not rebooted in the morning it does sometimes return on its own without any intervention.

Vodafone network status is not showing any issues but I am convinced this is some sort of bandwidth management or energy saving attempt on the mast outside of peak times. 

I use multiple sites and have seen this at most locations.

Is anyone else seeing this problem recently from about november 22 onwards?

59 REPLIES 59

My app loads offline. And then shows on the check

1000010779.jpg

I’ll give it a go :Smiling: 

Mine does exactly the same

Kate31cook

I also tried the network status checker but it doesn’t work without a signal it just gives some error message - so pretty much confirms zero signal! I switched onto my EE mobile and tried it and it worked fine so definitely a Vodafone network issue. Happened again last night at 12.15am.  This is getting ridiculous! Vodafone, please read this and solve it.

Well it’s midnight no internet again 😂 Had to hotspot off my partners phone to type this message 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear there are so many of you experiencing difficulty when trying to connect to our network. I've been in touch with our Network team about this, and can assure you there is no network maintenance set at midnight every night that would affect large areas of the country. 
you can find help with most issues our Network query initial checks. If you've tried the steps advised and are still having difficulty, we can certainly take a closer look at the coverage in any particular area, check the individual mast you connect to, and if necessary get this raised to our engineers to check. As we'll need to take some personal information to complete a full investigation into these issues, please pop us a private message via one of our social channels and we'll be more than happy to take a look.

Thank you Mark - much appreciated.  I have sent a message using Messenger to Vodafone UK.

But a suggestion on customer service: it shouldn't be necessary for me to send messages via Facebook, X or Instagram and hope that someone will pick them up.  You should be able to provide me with an email address for this sort of technical enquiry or - better still - put me in touch with someone who can help directly.  In my experience, contacting Vodafone is always cumbersome and frustrating and indeed a friend has just been on Facebook complaining about being passed around from pillar to post and spending an inordinate length of time in queues,  Must do better!  But thanks again.

@Mimi12345  - where are you based?

are you still getting this problem too?

ARH1950
4: Newbie

An update on this, folks.  I took Mark's advice and we may now be getting somewhere, although it did take some time to convince the Vodafone folk that this was not a problem related to signal strength.  It turns out that their engineers' initial investigation has detected anomalies in the traffic reporting that the cells apparently do routinely and automatically, and that those anomalies have occurred several times at or just after midnight over the past couple of weeks.  They have also noted anomalies at other times of day, but I haven't been aware of those.  The advice now is for me to do a screenshot of a speedchecker each time the internet connectivity is lost (which they realise will fail) and another one when it has come back on.  That will apparently help their engineers get further into this problem. In fact there has been no midnight interruption on the past three nights, so I'll have to wait undtil it happens before I can do that.  I have to say that they're now taking it very seriously and have been very helpful.  I'll let you know how this plays out, but the very fact that their own system is showing up these anomalies is an excellent start..  

colinstone
4: Newbie

Well done.  Yes, I agree.  Takes lots of screenshots of the network checker.  The Vf app could do with updating to record the failures as well as the successes.  I have suggested this to Vf, but others could do the same.