Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone blocking our charity website

SeanPhilip
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Vodafone appears to be intermittently blocking access to www.fvra.org.uk, a local residents association (charity) website that our organisation runs.

Can this be looked at please and unblocked? 

6 REPLIES 6

Jason

Hi @SeanPhilip. We understand how troublesome this must be. I've checked the website in question using VirusTotal and I can confirm that it's clean, with no security vendors flagging it as malicious. To make sure that we're on the same page, are Vodafone users unable to access the website because of Secure Net, or Content Controls? If you have a screenshot of what Vodafone users see, that would be great. 

1000034788.jpg

hi Jason, thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! This is what our residents see when they are attempting to access the website and sub domains via Vodafone Broadband...

I know it says this is a hosting provider issue but I've gone through them and there is no blocking being done their end. It's *only* affects Vodafone - is this something that the broadband router is doing? When residents who are with Vodafone broadband switch to using data plans provided by other providers it works. 

Thank you for both the clarification and additional information @SeanPhilip. Have you been made aware of Vodafone mobile users being affected, or is it only broadband users? 

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

I have Vodafone fibre broadband and I can access it just fine.

The error you're seeing is reporting that the wesites server has blocked your IP address. 

Thank you! I have gone back again and yes I can see you're right, this IP addresses, and many others have been blacklisted. From what I understand Vodafone broadband uses dynamic IP addresses that recycle - it seems like some of the residents are getting assigned IP addresses that have been blacklisted by bellini.hostns.io... but why would this be? I don't want to have to manually go in and whitelist them every single time. Is this a known issue with bellini.hostns.io?

WelshPaul

Pretty much all ISP's provide their customers with dynamic IP addresses and only some offer static IP addresses and even then it's upon request and usually incurs an additional charge. Dynamic IP's are not a problem for a web server if configured correctly. 

Simply put, your problems are not the result of anything Vodafone has done but a poorly implemented firewall hosted on that web server.