Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone mast still on 2G

axc33
4: Newbie

Can anyone tell me when the Vodafone 2G site in Axminster, site 4202, EX13 5AA, is going to be upgraded to 4G? Planning was submitted and approved over 3 years ago. I can see the network status checker shows nothing, but all other sites in East Devon/West Dorset were upgraded to 4G. Then about 6 months ago the rollout seemed to stop and this appears to be about the only site locally that's not been upgraded. It's a town centre location, and with it still being 2G only it leaves much of the town with weak/no data (as 3G is just as bad or worse)?

11 REPLIES 11

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you do need any further help, please contact us via Facebook at Vodafone UK; or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.I'm sure we'll be able to look into this and get you an update @axc33. So we can look into this, please confirm of the postcode provided (EX13 5AA) is for your home, or the location of the mast waiting to be upgraded?

That is the postcode of the mast waiting to be upgraded, but it's the only one in the town so any 3g or 4g comes from a few miles away! 

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@axc33 I've taken a closer look into the coverage in this postcode area (EX13 5AA), it shows the 2G, 3G and 4G are patchy. When you're using 2G, 3G and 4G you're connected to a different mast for each one - 4202 (2G), 1914 (3G), 89067 (4G). These different local serving sites you're connected to in this postcode area, are performing correctly without any known issues or faults.

Are you experiencing issues with your coverage here? If so, this seems to be down to the general coverage in your area. Due to this, I'd recommend Wi-Fi Calling which enables you to make and receive calls when connected to the internet. You can find out if you're eligible for this service on our website here. There's also the Sure Signal devices we offer to our customers, which generates a 3G signal which you can plug in at home. Check out the great benefits the Sure Signal offers.

Thank you. My home address a mile away is OK. The issue is more with coverage in most of the town centre, which is as you say, very patchy. Despite plans for upgrade, this seems to be the only town that's been left out!

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @axc33. We're always expanding our reach and looking into ways to improve our signal, so we appreciate your feedback and I'll make sure it's passed along to our Network team. 

Wondering if there's any progress on this? Would be good to have decent indoor data coverage in the town centre, especially with everyone now increasingly relying on Skype, Zoom, etc...  Coverage checker suggests no improvement in 3 months. Anything on the horizon at all?

Hi @axc33 

We can see there is some work scheduled on the masts, but no major updates have been scheduled as of yet 🙂 We understand this has been going on while, keep an eye on the Network Status Checker here as we are upgrading masts throughout the UK as we're rolling out 5G. 

Any updates on an upgrade in the Axminster area? My work postcode EX13 5AT, indoors I just get GPRS. Not much good nowadays! Same with most of the town centre and it's the only area round here that doesn't even get an indoor 3G signal! Any improvement would be welcome, especially as upgrades were planned about 5 years ago. 

Hi @axc33 👋 I have looked into the postcode provided and unfortunately I am not seeing any improvements scheduled in the next 3 months, I wish I could bring better news. Once 5G reaches the area it is likely to help as signal can be reallocated which can help in some occasions, at the moment we don`t have any dates I can give on this.