cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

When will Vodafone come out of the dark ages and finally implement SMS over wifi calling?

Given Wifi Calling spec (voWIFI/GAN/UMA) incorporates SMS (and MMS) support, why is Vodafone's implementation limited to voice calls only - did they buy cheap kit off the back of a lorry perhaps?

120 REPLIES 120

Typical, I've got a Samsung A40, latest update was Android 10 (19Dec2020 - what are the chances this will get Android 11?  Refuse to pay silly money and £240 for this one was about my limit.

My version of Android 11 is not Vodafone specific as the phone was bought in Luxembourg.

What I do have is the RCS version of Messages. It has a slider for sending text by WiFi if available. Not sure if it is anything to do with that, but may be worth a punt if you are on Android 

chistery
16: Advanced member

So from an Android phone, can you text an iPhone when on airplane mode and with wifi enabled?

RCS will work if you text another RCS enabled phone when on only wifi, that's on any Android phone with RCS enabled.

Not sure as these were straight SMS. I texted my car tracker on 1p Mobile and got the expected reply. 

chistery

I just tried it from my Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra with Android 11 and it didn't work, but works ok from EE.

Here is a link from Vodafone. They say they will text you! And you will see that they very carefully avoid the topic of SMS over Wi-Fi.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/voice-connectivity/sure-signal-shutting-down

chistery

It's now working on my Huawei P40 Pro+ with Android 10 and EMUI 11 so it's appearing on more phones at least.

Somebody is busy with their New Year screwdriver. I just tried SMS over Wi-Fi on my Samsung S10 with Android 10. Amazingly it now works! I logged in to PayPal and was sent a code. It is all much slower to send and receive than with Sure Signal, so I am hoping an upgrade to Android 11 will help. But it DOES work at last. I think more phones will start working without Sure Signal so keep trying. And do feel sorry for the millions of users who have no idea about this.

chistery

I haven't seen any noticable delay between my iPhone and Android when using SMS over IMS.

Are you talking seconds or longer?

Taking about 30 seconds, which makes me think that it is NOT working over Wi-Fi but slowly sending a text with a one-bar signal. As you were.