cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

When will Vodafone come out of the dark ages and finally implement SMS over wifi calling?

Given Wifi Calling spec (voWIFI/GAN/UMA) incorporates SMS (and MMS) support, why is Vodafone's implementation limited to voice calls only - did they buy cheap kit off the back of a lorry perhaps?

120 REPLIES 120

Taking about 30 seconds, which makes me think that it is NOT working over Wi-Fi but slowly sending a text with a one-bar signal. As you were.

Put the phone into aeroplane mode then switch on WiFi and try.

Flight mode just returns a message saying 'Turn off Flight mode to send messages'

On a Samsung S10, Flight Mode turns off WiFi and Bluetooth so not much use at home.

On a Samsung S10, Flight Mode turns off WiFi and Bluetooth so not much use at home..

You are only doing it to check if your texts come through on WiFi

Aeroplane mode on the turn WiFi on,

Send a text and get a reply. If that works you have SMS over WiFi Calling and you can then turn Aeroplane mode off and revert to normal 

What are you talking about? have you actually read my post?

Yep and I have just done what I suggested on my wife's S10. So it works.

Sorry for trying to help

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

stevefarley, since your post last month, SMS over Wifi has started working on Vodafone using iPhones and some Androids. Have you tried it recently and what device do you have?

Hi thank you for the response and thank you for actually reading my post mot of the replies I have had are from people who either did not read my post or dribble on about inconsequential nonsense. And yes I have an iPhone and it works most of the time now thank you. All the very best to you and thanks once again.

Enlli. I did the check with Flight mode on and WiFi on but texting failed. I switched off Flight mode and texting was enabled. I don't think my one bar of signal is enough so will experiment to rule that out. Thanks for your help. I'm sure we will all get there in the end. The more information on this thread the better. I am encouraged that I can actually receive rather sluggish texts for codes from Amazon and PayPal verification in WiFi calling.

Enlli. One-bar signal is ruled out. Not possible to send a text and nothing back from PayPal and Amazon 2FA. The minute I reverted to WiFi calling I got the two text codes and could also send a test text. So something positive has definitely happened even if it is very sluggish (about a full minute for PayPal 2FA). I am relieved I can get Two Factor verification even if it is a bit slow. That is much better than driving half a mile for a code, then driving back to put it in my bank account page or Amazon! But where is the Vodafone Tech Guru reassuring us all? Where is the information?