main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

When will Vodafone come out of the dark ages and finally implement SMS over wifi calling?

Given Wifi Calling spec (voWIFI/GAN/UMA) incorporates SMS (and MMS) support, why is Vodafone's implementation limited to voice calls only - did they buy cheap kit off the back of a lorry perhaps?

View more options
101 REPLIES 101
MarkD

Hi @m1kegibson, if we make any changes to include SMS or MMS we'll update our website here🙂

View more options
rireed3
2: Seeker

Sorry, that doesn't answer the question "When?"

Since this has been promised since 2018, and since Vodafone can't replace my broken Sure Signal, and with the growing number of associated complaints since Apri, surely Vodafone has been by now motivated to fund and execute a development project for this, assuming Vodafone cares to provide SMS in my flat.  Please, Vodafone, share with us the current scheduled completion date of such a project, or if there is no such project please be honest with long-suffering customers and say so, so we can look elsewhere to solving our indoor SMS signal problems.

View more options
m1kegibson

Not an answer is it! One would assume that the true answer is that Vodafone has no plans in place to implement SMS over Wi-Fi calling. 5G is Vodafone’s and the industry’s pet project and those of us on the margins of coverage with any supplier don’t matter.

View more options
Evie

I'm afraid, at the moment @rireed3 @m1kegibson, we don't have an estimated date for when we will support SMS over WiFi calling. I appreciate this won't be ideal, but any updates will be put on our website and social channels.

View more options
rireed3

Dear Evie,

I presume your answer means there is currently no project approved and no funding committed for the feature "SMS over WiFi Calling".

Regards,

Richard Reed

View more options
bignose2

I know it is standard reply but "understand is not ideal" is an understatement.

Assuming every single person with a sure signal is because they don't get a signal, this means no sms so NO 2 step authentication which is essential to most people so I guess at least 90% of all those, the service is not fit for purpose. PERIOD. 

View more options
Unsure_Signal
3: Seeker

It's becoming pretty clear now that the only way to get SMS over WiFi is to move to another carrier.

With bank and other 2FA it's becoming a necessity, otherwise, there's no way to get the authentication texts. 

View more options
User111

Why did Vodafone end Sure Signals knowing they did not have a solution to SMS over WiFi calling?. Another utter disgrace. I am a small business user who now has to work mainly from home. We have never had a cell signal in the 10 years I have lived here. We have over 10 lines, off to EE it is. I was only with Vodafone because of the Sure Signals.

View more options
richard_c

Same here, sure signal died, live in a small group of 4 houses in a 'signal shadow' - fine the other side of the road so no chance our signal will improve.  Marginal phone signal, so without SMS over wi fi calling we are lost as we can't log in to anything meaningful - that includes the Vodafone account which needs 2 step verification.

IF there was a clear message - something like "yes next Feb"  or "No, never" we could make an informed decision.  Without that, 3 contracts will go to someone else.

It's been 'coming soon' for 2 years or more.  I've stopped consulting the calendar and started looking at actuarial tables and my life expectancy ......

So - any news? 

View more options
PaulNev

Hi.. i want to add my plea to Vodafone to get this sorted. I used to use Sure Signal where sms worked fine but no longer available. I am now likely to work mainly from home for the rest of my career so dont know what to do as sms part of business. I can't make current and prospective clients use other systems nor can i magic up mobile coverage. Wifi is my lifeline

View more options
User111

HI, I have just ported over to EE and it works great. SMS on Wifi Calling. I have also noticed the coverage is more stable and I haven't had nay dropped calls when out on the road. I have set up an EE business account and their customer service seems to be a lot more efficient. I would strongly recommend a swap. 

Hope this helps. 

View more options
richard_c

Thanks for this. user 111.

Does EE wifi calling work with non-EE sourced phones?  I'm on sim only with Vodafone so if I port to EE I would like to be able to use existing phones.  I remember Vodafone saying that wifi calling would only work with phones bought from them although I believe that is changing for some models.

• So - did you use your existing phone with EE and were there any issues?

(Vodafone, if you are listening, been with you for well over 10 years, closer to 15.  The smart signal/no sms on wifi calling with no end in sight  is an object lesson in how to lose otherwise happy customers)

View more options
User111

Hi, yes, we had sim only with Vodafone as well so our phones are not locked to a network.  We purchase our phones direct from Apple. As long as the handset is not locked to a network it will work. You can request the handset to be unlocked from a network as well. Hope that helps

View more options
Torridon1

I am equally appalled at Vodafone for not fixing this issue. Even the login in my Vodafone account required 2FA via SMS to my phone and my old v2 suresignal box is (I think) broken as of today. Yes I have wifi calling, but NEED access to SMS for 2FA for banking/vodafone account etc etc. ##~## vodafone, get this sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View more options
luffviolin

Vodafone silence on this issue is becoming a legend. If anyone has a Sure Signal that typically fails after two years there is a genius who repairs these. Google - Andy Fraser Electronics. Turnaround is 48 hours and he is brilliant.

View more options
Torridon1

Many thanks @luffviolin for the tip, I found Andy's site and dropped him an email. He mostly repairs the v3 sure signals, and mine is an older v2, but he said it's most probably the power adapter, so i managed to find a spare power adapter with the same rating and it's back up and running!  Fantastic!  All the very best,

View more options
rireed3

Excellent work, @luffviolin and Andy Fraser Electronics.  Unfortunately, I binned mine, since Vodafone was so proprietary about this service.  I figured not to waste time on something that was likely to be permanently locked out.  Vodafone has been perfectly horrible about this and could easily have contracted for such a repair.  I hope the people that really can't get mast signal benefit from this lucky dodge.

View more options
luffviolin

Try to find a V3 device if you can and get Andy Fraser (see above) to look at it. Be careful to check it is de-registered before you buy because you will need to register it yourself as the user. My best guess about Vodafone total silence is they may be 1. about to release a v4 device OR 2. Set up Wi-Fi SMS for their customers, OR 3. Not give a moment's thought to any of these two options. If they were at least honest about this we would know what to do. So long as my device works I will stick with Vodafone. Otherwise I will move swiftly to EE.

View more options
stevefarley

When you stopped supporting Sure signal your advisor told me it would be weeks that was at the start of lockdown. They lie to get you off the phone. Well I own three UK companies and one has been with Vodafone for 23 years ish and I can’t wait to cancel all the accounts in March 2021and move to a more progressive company.

View more options