cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

When will Vodafone come out of the dark ages and finally implement SMS over wifi calling?

Given Wifi Calling spec (voWIFI/GAN/UMA) incorporates SMS (and MMS) support, why is Vodafone's implementation limited to voice calls only - did they buy cheap kit off the back of a lorry perhaps?

120 REPLIES 120

MarkD

Hi @m1kegibson, if we make any changes to include SMS or MMS we'll update our website here🙂

Sorry, that doesn't answer the question "When?"

Since this has been promised since 2018, and since Vodafone can't replace my broken Sure Signal, and with the growing number of associated complaints since Apri, surely Vodafone has been by now motivated to fund and execute a development project for this, assuming Vodafone cares to provide SMS in my flat.  Please, Vodafone, share with us the current scheduled completion date of such a project, or if there is no such project please be honest with long-suffering customers and say so, so we can look elsewhere to solving our indoor SMS signal problems.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm afraid, at the moment @rireed3 @m1kegibson, we don't have an estimated date for when we will support SMS over WiFi calling. I appreciate this won't be ideal, but any updates will be put on our website and social channels.

Dear Evie,

I presume your answer means there is currently no project approved and no funding committed for the feature "SMS over WiFi Calling".

Regards,

Richard Reed

I know it is standard reply but "understand is not ideal" is an understatement.

Assuming every single person with a sure signal is because they don't get a signal, this means no sms so NO 2 step authentication which is essential to most people so I guess at least 90% of all those, the service is not fit for purpose. PERIOD. 

It's becoming pretty clear now that the only way to get SMS over WiFi is to move to another carrier.

With bank and other 2FA it's becoming a necessity, otherwise, there's no way to get the authentication texts. 

Just tried. Sent and Received a text when only attached to WiFi this morning 26/12/20 S20+ with Android 11

That's great news. My S10 does most of what I want but I may have to buy an S20+ if there is no software update. Nothing happening on the S10 so far. Will post if there are any changes.

Apparently Android 11 is shortly to be rolled out so that should fix the SMS Wi-Fi. No idea when!

We can look forward to all of the following phones to get an Android 11 update:

• Galaxy S10
  • Galaxy S10+
  • Galaxy S10e
  • Galaxy S10 Lite
  • Galaxy S20
  • Galaxy S20+
  • Galaxy S20 Ultra
  • Galaxy S20 FE
  • Galaxy Note 10
  • Galaxy Note 10+
  • Galaxy Note 20