Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

vodfone are going to reduce My phone from 3G to 2G in 2923

TOM47
2: Seeker

Thousands of pensioners {And people who can't afford a SMART PHONE} will end up with a reduced SERVICE FROM 
VODAFONE from   3G to 2G  AT THE SAME PRICE as you pay now ?? THEY TOLD ME I would be better of Upgarding to a G4 Phone 

DO I SEND THE BILL FOR THE UPPGARDE of the new phone  to VODAFONE ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sixtring_uk

@TOM47 I've just upgraded to a brand new smart phone, only to be told it doesn't support 4G calling and I will still be stuck with 2G for phone calls and SMS.  

I only upgraded after receiving text messages from Vodafone telling me I would lose call quality once the 3G network is switched off, but it turns out not all handsets support 4G calling AND you have to buy the phone direct from the network!

This is really poor communication from Vodafone and has caused me to upgrade a perfectly good, usable handset to a newer one for no good reason.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

sixtring_uk

@TOM47 I've just upgraded to a brand new smart phone, only to be told it doesn't support 4G calling and I will still be stuck with 2G for phone calls and SMS.  

I only upgraded after receiving text messages from Vodafone telling me I would lose call quality once the 3G network is switched off, but it turns out not all handsets support 4G calling AND you have to buy the phone direct from the network!

This is really poor communication from Vodafone and has caused me to upgrade a perfectly good, usable handset to a newer one for no good reason.

Hello Sixstring_uk, 

I'm a little lost. You do NOT need to buy a handset from Vodafone to use the network and you do not need to buy a handset from any other network to make calls on their network with one of their SIM.cards.

I think Vodafone and other networks might like you to buy a handset from them of course and they may be able to do you a decent deal. Buyer beware!

If you are on or looking for a mobile phone contract - there are various options - some include a handset, others are SIM only contracts where you pop the SIM in your existing phone or one you have bought separately. 

If you are on pay as you go (prepay) or you provide your own handset for a SIM only contract then the only thing that you need to do is 1) Make sure it is 4G or 5G capable (although possibly watch out for a yet unannounced 4G switchoff) and 2) please make sure the handset that you buy is unlocked to all networks. 

There at least used to be phone shops that could sort out unlocking phones. It's worth in the first instance, if buying second hand, to ask what network the handset was originally on and contact the old network to unlock the phone so you can use any active UK SIM card in it.

Better still, ask the second hand seller to demonstrate the phone working with O2, Vodafone and EE - that will prove the phone is "network unlocked". Please also be careful of only buying from reputable sellers or people you know - some fraudsters sell phones in contract, don't pay the bill off and then the handset gets barred as it is still owned by the mobile network and not the customer/fraudster in this case that sold it to you. 

To make a UK SIM card active, you simply buy it (most newsagents sell them), be mindful of the preset pay as you go package published on the wrapping), call customer services before topping up to make sure the package is right for you, top up and your SIM is then active.

Old pay as you go SIMs that have not been topped up for a long time become useless and you can't get the phone number attached back. Each network has its own policy on how long until a SIM is disconnected and becomes useless. 

Some networks use your pay as you go SIM when you sign up for a contract and make them into contract SIMs for you. Others send you the SIM in the post. The network that you are with all have shops where you can also pop in for help with a new SIM - they'll fit it for you if you struggle.

Just a word of warning- if you are in the minimum term or within contract at all yourself, you will still be liable for paying unless you have good grounds to negotiate a termination fee waiver if you change network. The Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline can advise for free and impartially on consumer rights. 

You may find my reply to Tom, who you were replying to, useful for further information on the 3G switch-off. 

With any phone you are purchasing, includinf second hand, I'd recommend taking it into your mobile network's phone shop and asking them to make sure it has all of the correct network settings for you. They should show you how to do anything that you are unsure about too. They should help you for free. Alternatively, you can phone customer services. 

Kind Regards, 

Beanie. 

Hi Beanie

There is a lot of confusing / misinformation around relating to the 3G switch off it would appear and it's very difficult to separate good from bad.  Thank you for taking the time to write 2 very comprinsive replies.

It turns out in my case all I needed to do was contact customer support who have now activated WiFi / 4G calling on my account and even though the handset I bought isn't on the supported list (last time I checked) the feature does appear to be working.

Sorry Just Changed the Date Should read 2023

TOM47

I also received this message and it appears to be another scam to get people to buy new phones. 

I have a one plus 6t and used the hidden service menu to activate volte and it refuses to work. I looked in to how to activate it and nother works. I know for a fact that this device supports volte and WiFi calling.

I find most of my calls are done on 2g and are low quality anyway and my data is always slow at 2mbit max. Most of the time I can barely use the internet on the phone. 

I wish we could use WiFi only but need 4g in the car to download map updates.

Where I live doesn't even have 5g which is good. If they disable 3g I don't see big difference as I rarely get 4g anyway and all my calls are always low quality already.

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

What makes you think this is a scam to make you purchase a new phone @Jacopu ?

It's not necessary to purchase a new phone, it's only if you want to take advantage of VoLTE 4G calling. with a non compatible 4G phone 2G will still be available for calls and texts, this information is detailed here We’re switching off 3G in 2023  Apart from the UK, 3G network is being phased out around the World, if you decide to go to the US, you will have no choice but to use 4G calling.

There is further information from the Ofcom site here: Switching off the UK’s 3G mobile networks: what you need to know 

With old technology being retired, it's moving with the times.

The point I would like to point out

There are thousands of people who can't use a smartphone, The phones they have purchased have Key Pads  And  Can't afford to buy a new phone 

Tom47  Have a Nice Day   28-11-2022

indieben
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello Tom! 

I sympathise with you! My parents and also grandparents took the view that if something worked, why bin it. Ironically an attitude that is coming back in terms of recycling too with the best form of recycling being to repurpose or continue to use what you have. 

The problem is, as you will no doubt be aware, nothing is built to last anymore with the idea being that the customer is forced to buy new to satisfy sales targets for companies. 

With this in mind, if you use your phone rarely and it does it's job, it was either one of the oldest ones (built to last) (I bought a Nokia 3330 (NOT 4G so it will be affected) to play with second hand a couple of months ago and it still works well albeit Vodafone's signal is very poor here in East Manchester) or it's a slightly newer one, but still old and it has simply not been worn out. 

The majority of customers do keep up with the Jones' and want the latest items, the latest features and so on and it is extremely expensive at the very least to keep maintaining networks that very few customers use with the oldest phones (3G) and it makes no business sense.

Also, I'm not sure if there are technical limitations that require the 3G network to be shut off, maybe with 2G being an emergency failsafe for if the mud hits the fan with 5 and 4G. Networks want to keep expanding their capability and it might hold them back. 

Texts and calls will still work on 2G but mobile data will be affected for using the internet. It's also not just Vodafone who are shutting down their 3G networks - the others are too. 

The regulator, OFCOM claim that a 4G handset can be picked up for as little as £10.00 and that customers who are struggling with the cost, should consider speaking to their mobile network about this. 

You can find out more information about the 3G network switch off here at the regulator's website https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/3g-switch-off

Kind Regards, 

Beanie. 

Thanks for the INFO

Tom