Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android Wear

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Anyone here have any Android Wear devices?

I've just acquired an LG Urbane smartwatch, loving it so far, wondered if anyone else had tried anything similar?

49 REPLIES 49

Nabs

I've got the feature but not tried it out yet. It does sync up the WiFi networks with the phone so there isn't any additional setup needed which is quite good.

63johnw
I would have liked that feature.

I do like being able to quickly check notifications, even when driving its just a glance at your watch to see if its anything urgent.

froggerty
16: Advanced member

@63johnw wrote:
I would have liked that feature.

I do like being able to quickly check notifications, even when driving its just a glance at your watch to see if its anything urgent.

And that 'glance' lasts longer than you think, long enough to kill yourself, the other occupants of your car and those in the vehicle you hit, I would be ashamed to admit that!. All this wearable gear is just a gimmick that you can quite easily live without, especially whilst driving.

Nabs

You raise a good point @froggerty I would argue that it's no different to taking your eye away to change the radio station or speak to passenger.

Of course strictly speaking you should be 100% on the road all the time and should pull over to do anything that isn't driving. In reality anything that helps to keep your eyes on the road is surely beneficial.

I personally don't use my watch whist driving, I've never felt a need to react to a notification before so don't see why I should change now. I have been in the car with people who immediately take their attention off the road to check their phone, having a watch would allow then to take a quick glance at their arm rather than lifting thir hadn to look at the phone.

On your last point about it being a gimmick, you're spot on but it's a gimmick that I think looks good on your wrist and makes life easier. :smileyhappy: Can fully appreciate why people wouldn't like them, it's not for everyone.

63johnw
A glance no. Fully taking your attention away yes, so you have never looked at a watch when driving? Never looked at a passenger in the seat next to you? Never looked at something out of your window? Never glanced at a rear or side mirror.

Be serious for goodness sake.

froggerty

I have a clock in my line of sight in the dashboard, my rear veiw and door mirrors are positioned so that I don't have to turn my head or move my eyes beyond what I am seeing ahead of me, I don't look at other people in the vehicle and whatever I am looking at whilst driving is only that which is within the porifery of my vision, yes, I AM being serious. Anything that takes your attention whilst driving is potentially dangerous, that's all it takes, a split second.

63johnw
But you still have to glance at your clock, mirrors etc as well as a lot if other minor things going on around you, if you say you don't you must be the most perfect driver in the world, congratulations.

Sorry @Nabs dont want to derail your thread so won't be posting further.

Nabs

@63johnw do you have a keyboard on yours?

froggerty

I would not profess to being the 'perfect' driver, certainly not, but your actions and reactions will largely depend on your speed and considering the amount of traffic on the roads now and the idiots in control of it you can ill afford to be looking the wrong way, if you were driving on the roads around me even a glance the other way could be fatal, most of the roads I travel are narrow country 'lanes' that have high hedges and rather sharp bends and corners and when you meet a vehicle that the driver does not know where reverse gear is or think that the statutory speed limit off the motorway is 60mph on any other road then you could be in big trouble, just think, you're travelling along a road at 45mph, you 'glance' at your 'smart' watch because it's just bleeped, your eys are taking just that split second to focus on it, BANG, you've just smashed into a 6 ton tractor that's come out of a field gateway, but then, it may never happen if there's no signal in the area, or will it?

63johnw
No @Nabs never tried one, have you tried a one yet? Is it very effective/easy to use?