Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Breach of GDPR

matthewdevalle
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

A relative of mine recently received a letter from a debt collection agency with my name and his address on it. The only place in the world that this combinaion exists is with Vodafone. Can you explain how this happened? As far as I can see there are two possible events; either Vodafone has sold my information to debt collection agency or there has been a breach of security and someone has stolen that information.

So my questions arre 1) How did they obtain this information from Vodafone and 2) What are you going to do about it?

If my data isn't secure and Vodafone can't be trusted should I close my account and cease all business dealings with Vodafone?

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

The addresses and names are not matching and correct on your and your relatives credit file @matthewdevalle.  Creditors can only go on the information available from credit reference agencies.

It looks like a default has been registered in your name with an incorrect address and you need to get the information corrected and amended with the credit reference agencies, the agencies hold information on your name, data of birth, current and previous registered addresses.  You also need to investigate the reason for the default just in case you are a victim of identify theft.

Although this won't be anything to do with Vodafone, the privacy information with a list of agencies are here: Credit Checks  

Credit reference agencies are also there to give help and advise and they will be able to assist with getting the information correct of your file and will also be able to help your relative.

I can assure this did come from Vodafone! This combination does NOT exist in any other context. Deflect as much as you like, this is on Vodafone.

jeffkinn

First of all, you make a very common mistake and mention GRPR. That is for marketing information only and doesn't pertain to general information confidentiality.

I'm confused by your posting. Was the letter from a debt collector about a Vodafone debt or a debt from another company? 

Have you looked at Vodafone's Terms and Conditions to see if your situation is covered  by their T&C's? vodafone terms and conditions

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

As @jeffkinn confused.

Who has the account with Vodafone, you or your relative? Did you or your relative register an account with Vodafone using an incorrect address? 

You should never use an incorrect address when applying for credit, creditors go by the information on your credit report, if you had your name registered against your relatives address, creditors would respond to that address.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good morning @matthewdevalle - I can understand your concern. 

As @AnnS has mentioned it's really important to make sure you give any creditors your correct address details. Debt Collection Agencies are able to gain information on your address from the information you've provided to creditors, in order to collect a debt. 

Moving on from what @jeffkinn has touched on, you haven't mentioned if the Debt Collection letter is pertaining to a balance owed to Vodafone. 

So we can look into this further, please come and speak to my team securely via social media