Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Multiple sim, one number

RMurphy195
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm looking for a way of having one number across 2 phones, preferably without having to move the Sim across.

Why would I want to do this? I have a phone which is basic, but light and compact so it fits comfortably in a shirt pocket - useful when out walking and cycling, where a more modern Smartphone would be cumbersome, and liable to damage/falling out of pocket/getting sweaty and damp!.

But I also want to move on and have the benefits of a smartphone.

Ideally I would want both phones to have the same number.

Ideas, anyone?

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @RMurphy195 

That won't be possible on Vodafone, each SIM would have it's own identification number, terms and conditions and allowances.

If you are on pay monthly a workaround would be to set up a divert from one number to the other number for incoming calls.

BandOfBrothers

You would think with today's technology etc @RMurphy195 it would be possible but alas not.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

As has already been said, this won't sadly, be possible.   However, there are various cases, wallets and pockets that are designed to carry phones during activity and it might be worth investigating those.  They won't make the device any lighter, but they will provide somewhere to keep it (there are ones that will attach to your arm, for instance).

Thanks for your replies all, it was worth exploring. In the end I've decided to get a Nokia 800 "Tough" to replace my 10-year old, much- loved and much dropped Nokia 7230, which won't take much more abuse I'm sure! But there's nowt to stop me getting a cheapo smartphone as well should I feel the need, since the 800 takes a nano sim which I will be able to swop back and forth. Plus in cold weather I simply don't get on with touch screens (or the touch controls on my cooker for that matter!).

A big thing for me is battery life, a smartphone seems to need charging every day which is of no use if I forget to charge it up one evening, then go for a long walk or ride the next day and find myself with an emergency and a dead phone! (This did happen once when I tried a smartphone for a few days, walking around with the GPS on and it was dead half-way through the walk)

Camera and screen quality are of lesser importance for my main uses but it would have been preferable to have the best of both worlds. I prefer a "proper" camera for piccy taking. Oh well.

hrym

It's true that smartphones are put to shame by things like the Nokia 6310, which could go for a couple of weeks or more between charges.  However, they do a lot more and the (much) larger screen uses a lot of power.   Recent devices and operating systems are a lot more efficient and two days, at least with moderate usage, is possible.   You can also extend life by turning off things like wifi, Bluetooth and location services when you don't need them.   However, a lot of this is all part of smartphone functionality, so I leave them on.  Android 10 allows you a lot more control over what apps do in background and this will help with battery life as well as protect your privacy - unless you're tracking a route, a mapping app doesn't need to know where you are except when it's in foreground, for instance.   You'll also find that newer devices charge quite quickly too.   My Moto G8 isn't a super-fast charger (and is modestly priced), but tops up noticeably quicker than my wife's Sony L3, even on a standard charger.   What you will do, is get used to checking the charge level periodically and charging regularly.   A portable powerbank is handy too and there are small ones that are readily pocketable that will get you out of trouble while you're out and about.

The simple fact is that a smartphone can do so much that you'll find yourself using it more and more and probably learn to love it.  Not that that'll help with battery life - though there are "power" versions of some models that have larger batteries (Moto G Power, for instance).

If you have trouble with the screen in cold weather, it might be worth considering a stylus.