Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tu Go

bilko2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Is Vodafone going to do anything like O2's Tu Go?

IE being able to make and recieve calls to my vodafone number over WiFi

Bill

66 REPLIES 66

diztig
8: Helper
All the more reason to pester Voda for this now so that they can review it 🙂

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Can't disagree with that - Pester away. If you have a smart phone there are a couple of visual voicemail apps that can email you with notifications for missed calls and any voicemail messages. The one I use on my Galaxy S4 is Hullomail. Whatsapp and similar apps work on wi fi for text messages and don't need a mobile signal, let alone Skype, Viber and BT Smart Talk for voice calls.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

diztig
Cheers, jeffkinn; all useful work-arounds there, chap.

MTL
13: Advanced Member

Yeah, i started using WhatsApp last year - it's more or less completely replaced my SMS use (i reckon 95%).

Had HulloMail before, ran into a couple of issues (phone and previous mobile operator), might look at it again.

Skype I still have, as its handy when I go to the Channel Islands - still part of the UK, but the call charges are....interesting...so calling over the hotel WiFi is rather useful

jeffkinn
Viber is a good alternative to Skype, and BT Smart Talk if you have a BT landline. I've found Hullomail to be very good.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Hi, just wanted to add a "me too" - an app like tu go would be incredibly useful.

We live in a rural area and have a suresignal, but that doesn't even cover the whole house. Not only would a wifi app work throughout my house and garden, it would also work at friends houses, indeed anywhere I can get wifi.

Despite what vf claim, coverage in rural areas is very poor, and I very often have wifi but no vf signal.

To those who say "why not use a 3rd party voip app" you are missing the point, that doesn't allow me to receive calls and texts to my mobile number. These days people call my mobile number before even trying my landline number, which is very frustrating.

Come on Vodafone, this idea has been around for years. If I don't start hearing rumours soon, I'll be switching back to O2...

Ditto! A VF version of Tu Go would be extremely useful and essentially make my Vodafone experience SIGNIFICANTLY better!

Please, please implement this Vodafone!!

I would definately be interested in this. We recently had a cell outage in our area which went on for a few days. Being able to use the wifi to make and receive calls would have been a god send.

My friend that uses O2 said that he can also use this facility anywhere there is a broadband wifi connection so it's possible to make and recieve calls from Cyprus and it only gets charged out of his normal minutes allowance. Could this be why Vodafone are not too keen to do this?

jeffkinn

If you have a BT landline with one of the options that gives you call allowances you can use their Smart Talk app to do the same thing. You can also use apps like Skype and Viber over Wi Fi.

An app like Hullomail will capture calls made to your number that never get connected and email you the details as well as via its own app that uses data.

Apps like Whatsapp use data to be able to send text messages, photos and voice recordings.

There are lots of ways of using Wi Fi to stay in touch and that's probably the reason that Vodafone doesn't replicate O2's software.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for your reply.

The beauty of Tu go is it's simplicty. Nobody has to remember another username or number to call you (as with skype) it just works by running a simple app.

Most of the other third party apps require you to set up a new number or profile. Tu go just uses your own phone number for calls and texts over a broadband connection.

Multiple telephone numbers can be cumbersome and often confusing for some people and can lead to missed calls.

Thanks again.