Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

2 of my 4 devices are not picking up the wifi signal upstairs

pablothegirl
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I can only connect to wifi on my HP laptop and Sonos speaker if they are downstairs close to the router, even then it keeps dropping out after about 20-30 minutes. The router is located at the bottom of the stairs and this is a small 2 bed house. The laptop picks up all my neighbours wifi but not my own. 

The 2 devices that do connect to wifi upstairs are a surface pro I use for work and my mobile phone. The signal has been somewhat reliable on these 2 devices, but I did have some drop outs today on both of those devices.

I first plugged the router in on Tuesday around 7pm so it's been almost 3 days now. It is not near a TV, radiator, or phone etc.

15 REPLIES 15

MarkD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @pablothegirl. thanks for your post and we're sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the WiFi signal. We would first recommend checking the setup by visiting our page here. If everything is looking good, can you tell us which router are you using and are you on one of the Pro packages? 🙂

Not a pro customer. Model No: THG3000

Over 2 weeks and the issue is still not resolved despite many calls and chats with customer service - very poor!

Out of curiosity, are the Sonos and your HP laptop 2.4Ghz only devices?  I suspect that may be where your issue lies.   

Lots have trouble connecting single band (2.4Ghz) devices but hopefully, somebody will be along with a work round if it is the problem - I long ago retired my THG3000 in favour of something that actually works so I can’t really offer any solution.

I think they might be 2.4Ghz only. The first time it was passed to the tech team they said they'd send updates to the router, but that didn't fix the problem. The second time I spoke to the tech team they said there's an issue with the BT line and they booked an engineer for yesterday - they didn't turn up. I spent 90 minutes on chat/phone last night to eventually get the engineer rebooked for today. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

An Openreach engineer is not going to help with Wi-Fi problems.

You're right. The issue seems to be the 2.4G signal on the router. 2 of my devices are picking up the 5G anywhere in the house, and 2 of them are not 5G compatible so they pick up nothing unless close to the router because the 2.4G signal is very, very weak. 

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@Jayach wrote:

An Openreach engineer is not going to help with Wi-Fi problems.

Nah… but when the support script runs out of, 'plug it into the test socket an restart the router' responses, Openreach is the final option.  After that it'll be, 'nothing wrong with the line, nothing wrong with the router and we can see that you are above the minimum guaranteed sync speed - it is therefore your wifi devices causing your issues. Is there anything else we can help you with today? No?  Have a nice day, bye.'

A bit of an odd one though as generally, 2.4Ghz will have the better range.   
@pablothegirl. Can you connect your Surface Pro and/or you mobile to 2.4Ghz (can you still separate the bands and give them unique SSIDs?)

Pretty much this. After being on chat yesterday for an hour they said tech team would call me today. They didn't call so I have just called them and been on the phone 45 minutes refusing to do all the things I've already tried thrice! You'd think swapping the router was gonna cost them a billion quid. This is a 24 month contract and I've already been reincarnated 6 times trying to get this 1 issues resolved, so surely I am out of contract now. 

Aaaaand that call just ended in "my manager will call you on Sunday 2nd January" ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS! It's now going to be a formal complaint.