Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd party router on Gigafast in Milton Keynes

ctmkuk
4: Newbie

Hi. I have a fast, working gigafast connection using the supplied VF router. However, it is missing some functionality that I require for home users, eg DNS settings via DHCP server, plus a load of stuff I can't do for work, such as vlans.

I have tried to configure my old Draytek 2950n which has a wan side connection via ethernet. Plugged it into CPE, entered the PPOE username and password. But getting 'no response from server'. Have tried vlan 101 and 2000 but same result. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

3rd line have come through with some additional and essential info! Need to be on vlan 911 to get a connection.

View solution in original position

134 REPLIES 134

Hi Keith. Didn't fix the DNS issue. Nothing in the advanced console on the VF router which is disappointing. Problem has gone away now I've sorted Draytek router and can use DHCP settings on there or on my WinServ VM. You couldl workaround by setting for each client but that is annoying and kind of defeats the object of DHCP to pass down all network settings. I also use DHCP options for things like NTP server settings to ensure everything has the right time. Goodness knows how you do that on a VF router! 

Thanks for the help with this as soon as i change the vlan to 911 it connectede. 🙂

excellent news! Now you just need to pester to get the phone line sorted!!! I suspect that's hard for VF but it's part of what we're paying for?!

I'm in MK too and I'm also trying to setup my own third party router, a Dlink DIR868L, and can't seem to see how to enable the VLAN 911 setting. It might just be a feature that's unavailable, but just in case it's something that I'm over-looking can you please let me know what you went into to do it?

Hi RedonRed

Thats quite an old router nowdays im not sure the software has VLAN capibliity.

Even if it did im not sure the router would support 900mb thoughput.

I just checked one of my old Dir655 router and I could not see a VLAN option on it anywhere and that uses simular software to yours.

Just had my gigafast install and wanting to use my own router. Have got the username and password and configured the VLAN 911 but I am not getting a connection.

Looking for some help with the PPPoE settings.

Is PPP authentication PAP, CHAP or MSCHAP?   

is the IP dynamically assigned or does it need a static IP? 

Do the interface speeds need setting or is automatic ok?

Hi,

I bought a replacement router with VLAN functionality and it worked pretty seamlessly. 

Looking for some help with the PPPoE settings. - Set to default PPoE

Is PPP authentication PAP, CHAP or MSCHAP? - PPoE only

is the IP dynamically assigned or does it need a static IP?  - set to DHCP

Do the interface speeds need setting or is automatic ok? - Auto

VLAN 911

PPoE default settings

DHCP enabled

Cheers.

Thanks RedOnRed, Connected :Thumbs_Up: 

Hi ctmkuk,

could you confirm did your 3rd party router work / is it still working with Gigafast (Cityfiber FTTP)

asking as I'm due install in next few weeks and when I've asked voda support to confirm 3rd party support they came back with

" You'll not be able to use a third pary router on Gigafast, due to the router not being correctly provisioned for the service. Depending on the router you buy, this may be approved as standard by BT open reach. Deano"

im using Watchguard Firebox running pfSense which has VLAN support on WAN PPPOE

Mine is still working, and I was told something similar on the phone. I recommend the text chat to get your PPPoE username password, set the VLAN to 911 and you should be golden.