Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd party router on Gigafast in Milton Keynes

ctmkuk
4: Newbie

Hi. I have a fast, working gigafast connection using the supplied VF router. However, it is missing some functionality that I require for home users, eg DNS settings via DHCP server, plus a load of stuff I can't do for work, such as vlans.

I have tried to configure my old Draytek 2950n which has a wan side connection via ethernet. Plugged it into CPE, entered the PPOE username and password. But getting 'no response from server'. Have tried vlan 101 and 2000 but same result. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

3rd line have come through with some additional and essential info! Need to be on vlan 911 to get a connection.

View solution in original position

134 REPLIES 134

hh

markeagles4
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

Im getting this installed this tuesday, now with my BT FTTC install i have the Openreach modem , this i know its not compatable, i use an Asus RT-AC86U in conjunction with it, and it connects via RJ45 port, PPPOE etc, pretty much your basic install , i  don't want to buy a Modem/Router like yours , can the TG3000 be removed and i plug the RT-AC86U in its place ? . Also as we know a PPPOE username / Pass is required. is this a generic one like BT - bthomehub - btbroadband.com / Password - password or is it generated by your MAC code or is it just my account user/pass and will vodafone give these details out if its not

Regards

MArk

vodafone will give you your username and password. it is specific to your account and not generic. check you ppoe settings and make sure you can enter that vlan 911 on the outbound as well. if you can't on your router then you're going to get stuck

Hi thanks for the reply. the RT-AC86U has no way of configuring VLAN unfortunately, we'll only via the IPTV settings on the LAN side I think. Going to prove a problem don't fancy a £200 paper weight lol. 

Is there a list of third party routers that will work. I'm all new to this FTTP protocol. 

To be honest the bundled Vodafone router is very good. I went out and bought an expensive Linksys router, admittedly at a very good price, and if anything it's not as good. Useful to have a spare router though. 

I like to have a little more control I'm my settings, ISP routers are good to the point of attach, browse, and a bit extra. My Asus I have huge amounts of settings I use , for example custom QoS scripts (fqcodel) bufferbloat reduction is a 100% must with the amount of gamers on my network. 

Is it terminated at the vodafVod router or liken openreach at the modem on the wall and then bridged to the Vodafone router.

Regards Mark

Ah , yes I forgot about the IPTV settings. Hopefully on Tuesday it will work for me , thanks for the advice.

Ok . install went perfect . having to use the vodafone router atm as the engineer had no idea what i was on about when it comes to PPPoE user/pass.

What department / tech support is the best to talk too as i really dont want to spend hours on the phone getting placed from dept/dept.

Regards

Mark

MarkF
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

You'll have a specific number to call in and speak to our Gigafast team @markeagles4. They'll be able to provide you with the username and password. 

I got to them it took a while at one point I was told there are no routers compatible so they refused to give out the info. But I hung on told them about the info on their website regarding gigafast and third party routers and I got the information.

And to let people know yes the Asus RT-AC86U does indeed work perfectly with gigafast.