Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd party router on Gigafast in Milton Keynes

ctmkuk
4: Newbie

Hi. I have a fast, working gigafast connection using the supplied VF router. However, it is missing some functionality that I require for home users, eg DNS settings via DHCP server, plus a load of stuff I can't do for work, such as vlans.

I have tried to configure my old Draytek 2950n which has a wan side connection via ethernet. Plugged it into CPE, entered the PPOE username and password. But getting 'no response from server'. Have tried vlan 101 and 2000 but same result. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

3rd line have come through with some additional and essential info! Need to be on vlan 911 to get a connection.

View solution in original position

134 REPLIES 134

I'm now happily connected thank you so much for all the help.

Excellent news ;0)

I'd recommend doing some speed / throughput tests to ensure your connection is running at the expected speeds. Reason being, whilst the previous network capacity issues within Milton Keynes appear to have been resolved its worth checking following a move to a new router.

Additionally, if you want to use VOIP with a 3rd party router there isn't yet a process to use Vodafone's (City Fibres) VOIP services (You'll need some additional kit and a 3rd party VOIP provider - there are free ones).

Thank you I am unsure whether or not I need my phone so may not need the voip. However it is my next endeavour to see how much hassle it will be and if my router is even capable.

Router should be fine, you'll just need an additional VOIP adaptor (especially if you want to use existing analogue handsets)

Ah ok and a 3rd party viop provider?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use Vodafones VOIP services in conjunction with a 3rd party router. As a result, you'll need to use someone like www.sipgate.co.uk

Hi All, 

new set up here gigafast 500, white open reach box on the wall, got installed yesterday.

I have a ubquiti UDM, working fine with virgin, tried to set up with no luck. 

Spoke to chat and got the PPPoE username and password (though they said it was @vodafone.broadband.co.uk when this forum suggusts the other, i tried both) 

Was told by them to use VLAN 101 (in birmingham)

Set up WAN port using PPPoE, username with the @broadband.vodafone.co.uk

vlan tried 101 and 911 

qos setting i set to none (only have option 1-7 and not 0) 

DNS i set to 8.8.8.8 

Anyone have any ideas? 

I had issues myself with an Openreach ONT.  Got the info from another forum.  You don't need the vlan.  I'm using an Asus ax88u and tried for days with the whole PPPoe, username, password, vlan thing which I read everywhere.

Then I tried just not setting the vlan.  On my router there is a profile part, which I had set to manual to fill in the vlan.  I just changed this profile to none, which removed all the options. I kept the PPPoE,username and password part and it connecte first time.  I believe you need vlan 911 for CityFibre?  and not Openreach.

That worked for me anyway :Smiling:

Thanks or the advice. Still no joy I am afraid I may just have to suck it up.

20210216_043825.jpg