Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ASUS 3rd party router Superfast 2

Bredgwin
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey guys,

Just wanted to put something here for those of you wanting to get a 3rd party router running. Its actually quite straightforward.

My Internet was dropping out regularly and WiFi range was modest at best living in an old solid walled building so decided to get a 3rd party router.

I now have a ASUS RT-AX82U and installation was easy. 

Step 1: Get your log in details from a chat with support. Then log into your Vodafone settings 198.162.1.1 i think it is, and turn off your WiFi.

Step 2: unplug everything and start fresh, 1st connect the ASUS ethernet cable provided from the LAN port on your vodaphone router/modem to the WAN port on your ASUS. 2nd connect the line cable and power lead back into your vodaphone box and switch on. 3rd wait until power is on and all systems running, then power on your ASUS router. 4th connect to your ASUS login via LAN or connect to the ASUS WiFi, and follow the steps by putting in the credentials. Use PPPOE i think its called this particular router autodetected the rest of the settings. 

Step 3: Let the setup do its thing, once complete your connected with the Internet give it a out 10-15 mins it will drop out briefly, turn the new router off wait 30 seconds back on and your set. 

I hope this helps someone out there :Smiling:

38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are basically "double NATting" which can cause a number of issues, commonly with gaming and streaming.

If you double NAT you don't need to get your username and password, the VF router is not working as a modem and still authenticates the connection.  *You'll actually be reducing the performance of your connection...

You would be better off setting the Asus modem up as a wired access point, no double NAT, but you do lose functionality.

Far better is to use a third party router/modem combo, or a router and separate modem.

@keith so have I not turned my Vodafone into  modem, if not how do I go about this

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You can't, it doesn't have modem only mode.

Or make it a bridge i think i read. But thats what I thought I done

Jayach

If you google it there is much confusion about bridge and modem modes. Some say they are the same thing and others disagree. Personally I think ( and I have no way of knowing if I'm right) that on one the authentication is done at the modem end, and the other the "raw" Ethernet data is passed on and the authentication is done in the router. I have still not decided which is which.🤔

Well the router is up and working. Speeds are still hovering around 55 wired 40 WiFi which is what I was getting anyway. Haven't had any random dropouts, which I was getting 🤔 like 4-5 a day, very annoying. So it is working, but I'm a twitch streamer so kinda don't want this all falling apart when I'm not ready. Far as I'm aware my set up was alright but now I hear I'm running 2 NAT and its not being used as a modem 😅 some assistance would be great, or should I use the old its not broken at the moment dont touch it policy

Jayach

@Bredgwin wrote:

should I use the old its not broken at the moment dont touch it policy

I would go with that until you can get some better advice. I know of others who are double natting and have no problems. Just make sure only one device is providing the DHCP to your network.

Il log into my voda one then and turn off there maybe?

Jayach

That is what I would do.