Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Atrocious internet speed - help

glanza270bhp
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All, I am a newbie here and have come to you guys for some advice if possible because I am at the end of my tether with my broadband speed and Vodafone. I am not massively tech savvy so apologies in advance!!

We are with Vodafone with FTTC broadband. They promised us 60+mbps. We are currently getting around 1mbps. On a morning we may be lucky to get 35mbps but as the day goes on it just gets worse and worse to the point we barely have any internet at all. I have spoken to vodafone at length and they are adamant there is nothing wrong as they can see we are getting 52mbps. We had an openreach engineer come out to test the line outside and he said it was fine.

After having 2 vodafone modems (giga something ones) I eventually purchased a new modem to see if that solved the problem (T-Link Archer VR600) but we are experiencing the same speeds.

Below are the stats for the t-link modem and the latest speed check info (wired so not a wireless problem)....can anybody let me know if anything alarming is standing out which could explain our problem?

Many thanks in advance, Rachel 

1 REPLY 1

dcwt2010
4: Newbie

I suspect you were like me and got put on a busy circuit because VF has been oversubscribed. Contrary to what many think, it isn't like gas and electricity, VF have their own equipment but lease/use the BT lines so if they have too many customers connected their congestion happens. My line synced at 80Mb/s DL, I could attain 74Mb/s from morning to afternoon but as soon as evening 7pm hits it is ~10Mb/s or lower till 11pm. 

Try to keep a track of your download results using speedtest.net by signing in. You can then get a graph to show when the "slowdown" happens.

Also, when was your broadband activated?