main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Can i use my Asus AC86U instead of the useless router provided on Gigafast?

SOLVED
View solved solution
Dadabongo
3: Seeker

I have my Vodafone username and password.  I have see something about going into the Iptv settings and changing them to 911. But I'm not sure if I need to do anything else.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, you should be able to connect your router to the ONT/(G)PON and with your username ending in @ broadband.vodafone.co.uk , password and then on the AC86U:  LAN > IPTV > Select ISP Profile: Manual Setting and Internet VID: 911    it should work!

The RT-AC86U can run somewhat hot, so you may want to consider mounting a cooling fan on it!

View solution in original position

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, you should be able to connect your router to the ONT/(G)PON and with your username ending in @ broadband.vodafone.co.uk , password and then on the AC86U:  LAN > IPTV > Select ISP Profile: Manual Setting and Internet VID: 911    it should work!

The RT-AC86U can run somewhat hot, so you may want to consider mounting a cooling fan on it!

View solution in original position

View more options
Dadabongo

Thanks. Got it to work in the end. Was ready to cancel contract when my signal was "poor" in the room next door to the supplied router 🤣

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

With it all up and running you might want to have a look at the "enhanced" Merlin firmware for your RT-AC86U.  If you've multiple users and game players using Cake QOS and enhanced NTP can be really beneficial!

View more options
Dadabongo
View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's as easy as manually uploading the standard Asus firmware, and can be found at: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

For more info and additional support there's a lot more info available at: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

The one thing you probably would want to avoid though is the Diversion Ad blocker - it doesn't seem to like the RT-AC86U

View more options