cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can i use my Asus AC86U instead of the useless router provided on Gigafast?

Dadabongo
4: Newbie

I have my Vodafone username and password.  I have see something about going into the Iptv settings and changing them to 911. But I'm not sure if I need to do anything else.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, you should be able to connect your router to the ONT/(G)PON and with your username ending in @ broadband.vodafone.co.uk , password and then on the AC86U:  LAN > IPTV > Select ISP Profile: Manual Setting and Internet VID: 911    it should work!

The RT-AC86U can run somewhat hot, so you may want to consider mounting a cooling fan on it!

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, you should be able to connect your router to the ONT/(G)PON and with your username ending in @ broadband.vodafone.co.uk , password and then on the AC86U:  LAN > IPTV > Select ISP Profile: Manual Setting and Internet VID: 911    it should work!

The RT-AC86U can run somewhat hot, so you may want to consider mounting a cooling fan on it!

Thanks. Got it to work in the end. Was ready to cancel contract when my signal was "poor" in the room next door to the supplied router 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

With it all up and running you might want to have a look at the "enhanced" Merlin firmware for your RT-AC86U.  If you've multiple users and game players using Cake QOS and enhanced NTP can be really beneficial!

Is this easy to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's as easy as manually uploading the standard Asus firmware, and can be found at: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

For more info and additional support there's a lot more info available at: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

The one thing you probably would want to avoid though is the Diversion Ad blocker - it doesn't seem to like the RT-AC86U

Hi

I'm trying to get my ASUS RT-AC86U working with Vodafone Cityfibre Gigafast broadband.

I did a factory reset on the ASUS router prior to starting.

I've followed all the steps, acquired my username and password, input 911 on the Internet LAN port. But still the Internet will not connect.

Can you help?

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

This is a relatively old thread. Since then loads of people are using their own routers on FTTP.

You are aware you will lose easy access to the phone service?

The biggest problem always seemed to be getting the correct PPPoE username and password from Vodafone, so just get them to check what you have is correct, and if you still can't get it to connect, perhaps start a new thread, and tell us what settings you have used.

Thanks for the reply. I've sorted it. Turns out Vodafone gave me incorrect account details!!!!!