Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Changed wifi password and now wifi extender will not work

barleymagroo
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently changed the wifi password for my router. I was able to easily reconnect all devices. I have an old wifi extender to boost wifi at the back of the house. I have tried to connect it using WPS and it will not connect with the router. I figured it was because it is old :Smiling: So I bought a new extender. It will also not connect. I have tried the WPS method and  tried to connect with the Web Browser method. With the latter, I cannot see the extender's name on my PC's wifi network manager to connect. So can't see the name that should be there: NETGEAR_EXT (SSID).

Please help - I am not well versed in these matters!

3 REPLIES 3

Jayach
16: Advanced member

What extenders do you have, could they not be set up using a cable?

Edit: Also, what router do you have?

The first was an old BT one - I don't remember its name, but I set it up no problem with WPS when I first received the Vodafone router. The new one is a Netgear AC1200 Dual Band wifi range extender, model EX6120.

I could fish out an ethernet cable, and try that

Jayach

Obviously WPS is the easiest way to set up the extender. I assume you have watched the Netgear video.

https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6120.aspx

As both extenders are having problems connecting via WPS suggests the problem is at the router end.

I had problems getting my THG3000 to connect via WPS at first and it seems quite fussy about how long the WPS button is pressed. Giving it a quick press for about a second seems to work best.

Also check WPS is turned on in the router firmware and try pairing using the "pair" button there. (See attached photo)