Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Comparing Vodafone to BT speeds

bigbazovuk
4: Newbie

I've recently switched from BT to Vodafone for my Fibre High Speed Broadband and Phone services. With BT I was consistently getting 67 mbs download speeds from the router doing a speed test. With Vodafone its only around 45 mbs. Nothing has changed other than the router suggesting that the Vodafone router is of a lower spec than the BT one I had. The number of devices I use hasn't changed either.

The Sync speed shows a must higher speed often close to the 80mbs but then again BT was similar too. 

Is the Vodafone router sub standard or can it be upgraded or tweeked? I'm aware of the device boost options but that doesn't answer the question.

Anyone else suffering with the same problem?

I've been connected for 18dsys so plenty of time for any external line calibration. 

Thank you. 

8 REPLIES 8

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bigbazovuk, I'm sure we'll be able to get your sync speeds back up to thse you've had previously. To help us with this, can you confirm 👉

• If your router's connected to the master socket.
  • If you're using a Wi-Fi connection and do you have any other devices connected.
  • Are you in the first 14 days of your contract.
  • Is the router next to any electrical equipment that might interfere with the signal i.e. Microwave,  baby monitor, TV or fish tank etc.
  • Can you run a speed test through the Vodafone App or on http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the result here.

Once we have this, we'll be able to take a closer look into your issue 🔎

Thanks for your reply, just to reiterate first that the only thing I have changed is my router and to answer your questions.... 1/ The router is connected to the master /only socket. 2/ I have usually just my mobile phone and am ipad connected to WiFi most of the time, no movie playing but just browsing. 3/ my contact was activated on the 4th Feb. 4/ the nearest device to the router is my TV but about 2 metres away, limited by cable length. 

I've attached speed test results before I switched to Vodafone 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming that @bigbazovuk, it looks like we'll need to access your account to help with this. So we can, pop us a private message with your full name, account number and a link to this thread through Facebook or Twitter and one of our dedicated team will take a closer look into this for you 🔎

Just to close this thread off, I've rejigged my set up at home and have my speeds back to what I would expect. The router is maybe 6 inches further away from my TV than before but has made a lot of difference. 

oshaka125
2: Seeker

There are a lot of reasons behind this problem. If you’ve changed the router, as you said, maybe your router isn’t placed in the right position and your device is away from the router because internet signals aren’t strong enough to cross the walls and other hurdles in the home. Maybe you need to set a wifi extender in your home to enhance the coverage area. Before buying a wifi extender, check your internet speed here https://www.allspeedtest.com/ This is a really accurate tool and will help you to figure out the real problem within a few seconds.

MrSpike

Hi. Ive just changed from BT broadband which was fine to vodafone broadband which is a lot cheaper, so great,

BUT now I CAN NOT watch a programme because it starts and stops every minute or so, 

my pc , tablet and phone are fine, just my TV, 

Vodafone says its my fault, its my line, but I had no problems with BT.

HELP

If you do a line test or a speed test & they are normal as expected then the problem could be your equipment or where you have sited it.