Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connecting 2 Vodafone routers but no internet connection on second router

sakijura
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all! 😊

I have 2 identical Vodafone Hubs. I would like to extend a wired connection from the 1st router to the 2nd router by connecting the secondary router to the primary one. Exploring this forum and after some googling, I have taken the following actions.

Router 1 is connected to the ONT Fibre box onto the WAN port. The internet is working fine on this one.

Gateway Network: 192.168.1.1 (standard)

DHCP Server Activated with range: 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.199

Router 2 is connected to Router 1 through an ethernet cable from LAN to LAN port. The internet button is flashing red, however Wi-Fi LED is stable white.

Gateway Network: 192.168.1.2 (changed to give it a unique IP address)

DHCP Server De-activated.

(Yes I am certain they are not mixed as I made sure to turn off the other one and only leave one connected while changing the settings. I am also able to enter the router settings on for both routers simultaneously as they are connected to each other through a cable, I'm just not getting an active internet connection.

The Wi-Fi settings are sorted with the correct channels so that isn't the problem. The problem is within the wired connection.

When I connect a LAN cable from my PC to Router 1, the internet is working fine.
When I connect a LAN cable from my PC to Router 2, the cable is detected and it shows a broadband symbol, but no active internet connection.

None of the cables are defect as I have tested them using other devices as well.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong or why I'm not getting an active internet connection on the 2nd router? Any help would be appreciated! 🔧

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@network123 wrote:
My other alternative would've been perhaps don't use two VF routers... Double the trouble.

I rather like the Vodafone router (THG3000), and what the OP is trying to achieve worked well for me.

Just get a dedicated WAP or switch (whichever OP is trying to achieve here).

That was my first thought as well, but maybe money is tight. Waste not, want not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0NT9RLAvQ

View solution in original position

21 REPLIES 21

Thank you very much for looking into this and sharing your findings. I was able to get it to work, but not before I completely reset the whole system. Each time I made a change to the 'web settings' I'd have to completely shut down both routers and restart them for the new settings to be applied correctly.

Unfortunately, the internet on the 2nd router is still not stable and I will likely be getting a proper Gigabit switch instead. The video you linked was very helpful and I would recommend other users who are trying to set up something similar to watch that video, so I highlighted it as best solution.

CrimsonLiar

You did much better than I ever managed connecting the GT-AX6000 to the old VF HG2500.  That was such a hot mess it was hard to believe, possibly because of routing rules needed to run the "Diversion" adblocker.  So good on you all!  I raise my cap to you!