cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Contract End Date - Do I really have to give 30days notice?

Gill58
1: Seeker

End of contract issue - why do I have to give 30 days notice!?!

My contract ends on 04/02/23, I no longer want to continue with the service but I've been told that I must give 30days notice!! why do I need to give 30 days notice when the contract ends?

I'm not asking for it to end early just for it not to roll over so I the contract is for 2 years and I wish to leave at the point why do I need to cancel 30 days before this date? This can't be correct and I'm sure it didn't state that in the terms and conditions when I signed up.

Whats the point in having a contract when it just carries on unless I give 30 days notice? Why can't I just ring up 15 days for example to confirm that I don't want it to roll on?

16 REPLIES 16

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Neilthedragon 

A contract with a minimum term is not the same as a fixed contract that terminates at the end.

How do you not understand that?

I agree. And when your legally contracted term expires, you are free to move on, you are under no obligation to continue any length of fixed term usage of that product you was contracted to before the date it ended. Yes, Sky and other broadband companies state you are required to give 30 days notice and if you didn't, you will have to pay for an extra month until the 30 day notice is fulfilled. Even if the customer notifies them a day before the contract ends they will try to push you to pay for that extra month. 

Jayach

@Neilthedragon wrote:

Yes, Sky and other broadband companies state you are required to give 30 days notice and if you didn't, you will have to pay for an extra month until the 30 day notice is fulfilled. Even if the customer notifies them a day before the contract ends they will try to push you to pay for that extra month. 

Yes, because you didn't give the 30 days notice that is in the contract.

I think I've figured out what you do for a living, you're a Troll.

And you must be Sherlock Holmes 

Jayach

It was elementary.

@Neilthedragon wrote:

I've done it many many times. Do you understand what a contract is? How can you say that you're still in a contract when your contract term is fulfilled? When you give me a logical answer I'll explain to you what I do for a living.

Hopefully what you do for a living has nothing to do with advising people of their rights insofar as contract law is concerned…

The Contract between Vodafone and the Customer is simply

• Vodafone undertakes to provide the service until such time as thirty days notice to terminate the service given to Vodafone by the customer has expired.  

• The Customer undertakes to pay for the service provided by Vodafone until such time the contract is formally terminated thirty days after they (the customer) have give Vodafone notice of termination.

The minimum term is simply a condition of entering into a contract with Vodafone,   Whether a customer wishes to terminate the contract within or without that minimum term, the very same thirty days notice to terminate the contract is required* - the only difference being the early termination fee payable if the minimum term condition of the contract has not been met. 

Have you read and understood the applicable Terms and Conditions…. 

* Switching to another service provider after the minimum term has been fulfilled waives the requirement to give thirty days notice.

Jayach

Thank you @HappyNomad , it's really not rocket science after all.

There are reasons why Vodafone can terminate the contract, but really no need to spell them out, they are in the contract.