Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Deco e4 speeds much lower than Vodafone router

Eddierooo
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there,

I’ve got the 910mb broadband fttp which has been running around around 500/500 max speeds (ookla Speedtest)

I got the pppoe username and password and used a tp link deco e4 to connect straight to the Ethernet instead of using the thg3000 Vodafone router. However I was only getting 90mb.

I then tried it plugged into the router in access point mode: Vodafone wifi was running at 500mb but the deco network was again around 90mb.  It felt like it was capped somehow as wherever I was in the house it was 90mb.

Any advice greatly appreciated on how to get the deco speeds up. I’d previously had good success with the deco mesh system on virgin.

many thanks

Ed

ps. Is the reality of 900mb broadband that you only end up getting around 500 (Ie around the minimum guarantee) on wifi or should I be raising it with tech support?

9 REPLIES 9

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Just two things to check quickly:

1) Make sure the reported speed is not 90MBps as that would be good

2) Make sure the device you are testing the speed with is connecting to the 5GHz WiFi and not 2.4GHz

It looks like it’s an issue with e4 because it doesn’t have gigabit lan ports so I need an m5 or wifi 6 deco.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/576588

Not sure I follow this? What is the difference between report speed and the speed my package should be giving (900) or highest I’ve seen on a speed check (550)?

Jayach

@Eddierooo wrote:

Not sure I follow this? What is the difference between report speed and the speed my package should be giving (900) or highest I’ve seen on a speed check (550)?

90MBs is 90 mega byes per second, so equivalent to 720Mbs megabits per second.

CrimsonLiar

Yup it looks like that 100Mbps is a limit of Deco E4 - which is frankly bizarre!  

Got you- I meant Mbs not MB

Ripshod

Oops, double post. 😞

Ripshod

I'm feeling kinda guilty now. I recommended these to a user on here unaware of this limit. We do install these in HMOs and haven't had any complaints but it does seem they have limitations.

It could be that they're connected to the 2.4 Ghz band but that's just a guess as we hardwire ours. 

Jayach

The limit is on the Ethernet, not the Wi-Fi, they have Fast, not Gigabit Ethernet. The WiFi is AC1200.

Perfect in the days of FTTC only, and they were cheaper than the M4's