cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Details on switching from BT to Vodafone (broadband)

_ben01
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I am just wondering about upgrading my broadband. Previously when I tried Virgin Media with fibre, we just had a fibre cable running over our front garden, which is why we moved back to the copper lines. I am wondering Vodafone engineers will do the same thing or will they dig out a line for us in the front garden. If they cannot do this, is it possible to run the fibre cable overhead (as my street has a telephone pole) and if they can - would running it over head cause any loss in speed?

From what I know already I am guessing I would have to order the package and then an engineer would come out and discuss my options? But if none of the options will work for me will I be able to cancel the plan.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The fibre will probably get into your property using the same method as the current copper line, so if that uses an overhead connection, so will the fibre.

Do you know if Vodafone will be using Openreach or CityFibre in your area?

Yes I believe you could cancel if you are unhappy with the proposed work, but the copper will be retired soon, so it will have to be done eventually.

Thanks for your response

Well the copper does use overhead connection but when we had fibre before it came from underground so I'm not sure our telephone pole has fibre on it? 

I believe its CityFibre where I live but I'm not too sure on how to check that.

Also, will the cancellation be free of charge, and will they cancel the contract?

Jayach

It's unlikely Virgin was using fibre, more likely co-ax.

When you checked what speeds were available to you on Vodafone, if the up/down speed were the same it would be CityFibre if the download speed was higher than the upload, it will be Openreach.

If you reject the install, I don't believe there will be a charge, but you should confirm that with Vodafone to be sure.

Now that you mention it yes it might have been co-ax, so will the fibre also be from underground?

For speeds with Vodafone the highest is 900mb so I'd imagine that is CityFibre

Jayach

It's not the download speed, that distinguishes between Openreach and CityFiber, it's that Openreach are not the same both up and down.

I am offered 900up and down

Jayach

Then, yes it will be CityFibre.

They may well still use the poles, as they do share infrastructure with Openreach.

Will the poles use new fibre or will it still be copper?

Jayach

It will be fibre.