Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Essentials tariff

Megraw65
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Trying to sign up an elderly disabled relative with dementia to Vodafone Essentials, but hitting a brick wall. Needs to be in her name per terms and conditions, but with dementia, she can’t physically sign up for it. I can PROBABLY sign up (in her name) online, for Fibre 1, and according to terms and conditions, the account can then be changed to Essentials without penalty, and no minimum contract term applied.  Would that work…? It seems I also need to call the Accessibility team before placing an order, as she would be landline dependent. Does anyone know how that works…?  Thanks in anticipation. 

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You, or others, really need to get lasting power of attorney so you can officially act for her.

Make, register or end a lasting power of attorney: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

It will make things much easier going forward, we had to do it for my Mum.

Thanks.  I know that’s the ultimate step, but we’d hoped not to have to go there. Pensions Service have me registered to assist with benefits etc, and other utility suppliers have accepted that less formal approach, but thanks for the advice. We may have to consider it at some point. 

Jayach

@Megraw65 wrote:

I can PROBABLY sign up (in her name) online, for Fibre 1, and according to terms and conditions, the account can then be changed to Essentials without penalty, and no minimum contract term applied.  

If you can probably sign up in her name for Fibre 1, why can you not probably sign up in her name for Essentials?

Because the chap on the Essentials Team that I spoke to chose to do it in my name - wasn’t my decision - I told him that I was happy to do it either way 🤭.  I discovered afterwards on digging further through the Terms and Conditions, that Essentials HAS to be in the name of the person who is “entitled” to it, but he didn’t seem to be aware of that. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

As you're only eligible for the Essentials plan if you're in receipt of specific government benefits @Megraw65, the person applying for the service would need to be the one eligible for the benefit. If you speak to our Accessibility team by calling 0333 304 3222 from any UK number, they'll be able to talk you through the options available to you.