Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast and Google Nest WIFI

Djcla
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I've just ordered gigafast broadband but wanting to retain my Google Nest WiFi mesh system which includes a router.  Now the Nest WiFi does not support Vlan tagging has anyone tried to get this working?

This page talks about a managed switch in-between but doesn't mention what you do to set it up etc.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9798157?hl=en&from_support=true

7 REPLIES 7

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Djcla, hmmm good question! Vodafone routers do support V LAN tagging, so have you tried the steps below 'Use a VLAN supported router' on the link you've sent over?

It may also be worth having look through this forum thread for any helpful tips and tricks!

Hi

I've not had the product installed (end of month ) yet but I'm going to try the smart switch method and Google router and report back my findings.  I see no reason why it shouldn't work so long as I can get my username and password and the Vlan Id is the same 911.

Stubbo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Sounds great @Djcla, please let us know how you get on.

Have a fantastic rest of the week! 

round2it
4: Newbie

I'm looking to do that as well.

One might hope that the Nest router can be put in bridge mode and just be plugged into a VF Router Lan socket?

How did you get on with your Nest Mesh?

I use my nest mesh setup with my current provider and it's excellent no issues at all.  Once my Vodafone fibre gets installed I'll see if I get get it working with a switch and report back.

Hmm, a lot of trouble to get a connection,

I just been checking and can see that the mesh gets disabled if bridge mode is used in the router? What?

If I put an Openwrt router into Bridge/Gateway mode, all it does in plain words is pass Wan to Lan maintaining everything else as one might want. 

A couple of things have stopped me going Gigafast running past my front door, let alone customer service!

Can I do "Arp binding" so I can use WoW to wake up Lan connected equipment from Internet > WAN.

Can I send a WoW packet using port 9 and get my targeted equipment woken up?

Can I setup and use the DDNS of my choice. 

All this is achievable with OpenWRT routers. BUT if I can't do it with the Gigafast router, then I will have to use the GF router in bridge mode and get my OpenWRT router Vlan'd, which at the moment, using Gargoyle, it can't do using the GUI. 

Did you manage to get one working?

I've now got Gigafast and my home network has lost a VPN and can't do a remote wake up. The router leave a lot to be desired, especially in this day and age with home and remote working.