main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Great line speed, Terrible Wifi

dimarie33
2: Seeker

Hey guys. So two days ago we switched from plusnet FTTC to vodafone FTTP on the 200 mb package. We're getting 200 mb via ethernet on the pc which is awesome and the line/connection is super stable, but the wifi is so bad :Sad_face: .

 

Iv split the ssid, done a factory reset, but we're still having issues with constant disconnections all the time, which is weird because we're in a bungalow so im not even far from the router.

 

Has anyone else had issues with the vodafone wifi router? i do have a netgear router which i tested and had no issues, but sadly it doesnt support digital voice where as the vodafone router does. Iv also checked we're on the latest firmware. Im not sure what to do :Sad_face:

View more options
13 REPLIES 13
Jayach
16: Advanced member

@dimarie33 wrote:

Iv split the ssid, done a factory reset, but we're still having issues with constant disconnections all the time, 

 


Really, that shouldn't be  possible. Vodafone will usually have removed that option..

View more options
Ripshod
13: Advanced Member

Could be you managed to split the ssid before the (old) firmware has updated. You may find later you'll lose access to that popular setting. 

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Ripshod wrote:

Could be you managed to split the ssid before the (old) firmware has updated. You may find later you'll lose access to that popular setting. 


It usually gets the config download which removes the option first time you connect.

@dimarie33 You said you have the latest firmware. how do you know? Vodafone do not usually release that info?

View more options
dimarie33
2: Seeker

Hmm thats weird. Heres screenshots showing the options. Still hasnt helped the bad wifi though lolsplit.jpgfirm.jpg

View more options
dimarie33
2: Seeker

I just compared to others on the forum from recent posts

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

@dimarie33 wrote:

I just compared to others on the forum from recent posts


Ah, great. Probably 19.2.0307-3261013 then.

Your pictures have not been moderated yet, but it sounds like you are not getting the correct config file. (or any config file at all)

Are you on Pro, do you have the booster(s)?

View more options
dimarie33
2: Seeker

Ah sorry i didnt know the pics needed to be checked. its firmware 19.4.0551-3261103 . Do you think this config thing is why im having issues with wifi? also why have they removed splitting ssid, that makes no sense lol, same as them removing channels too

 

nope not on pro and no boosters, then bungalow is pretty small though lol

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

Unfortunately I don't think the config is causing the poor WiFi, it's just an inconsistency.

I have a reasonable sized bungalow with solid walls and the THG3000 covers it fine, and reaches to the end of my 50ft garden. (pretty weak but usable, even the 5Gz)

I would not expect the THG3000 to have poorer WiFi than the PlusNet router. Which router did you have?

Is the Vodafone router in the same place as the PlusNet previously?

You could try reporting the problem to Vodafone, and see if they have any suggestions, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Use live chat https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/ or call 08080 034 515.

If you don't have to return the PlusNet router, you could try using it as an access point, but that would be an untidy workaround. 

 

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

@dimarie33 wrote:

also why have they removed splitting ssid, that makes no sense lol, same as them removing channels too


Ah, if they have removed the channels for you, you are getting a config file. It's only on Pro that they remove the option to split them.

Why, because they believe their software knows better than us how to configure our routers. 🤔

View more options
dimarie33
2: Seeker

Thanks for your help so far btw jay.  I was using a netgear r6800 router, but as i need that digital voice thing now i need to stick with the vodafone wifi hub. I did try my netgear router and has no wifi issues at all, so its definitely the wifi hub. Its in the same place as before. Hmm im not sure what to do

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

You should be able to set your Netgear to AP (Access Point) mode, and just have it replace the Wi-Fi in the Vodafone router. Then you still have the phone connection on the Vodafone.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Criminal waste of a decent router, but needs must.

 

View more options
dimarie33
2: Seeker

I didnt even think of using it in AP mode! great idea., iv never actually done that before, could this cause any issues like speed reduction? its so strange because saying for example im watching a stream on the 5 ghz wifi, its fine and doesnt buffer or anything, yet when using apps or a browser, thats when il have buffering/loading that last 10-60 seconds. Sometimes il do a speedtest and it will drop to 0, im so confused.

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

Using it in AP mode should have no effect on speed whatsoever. (in fact the Netgear is AC1900, and the Vodafone AC1200, so it theoretically has faster WiFi)

The only problem is:


@dimarie33 wrote:

 its so strange because saying for example im watching a stream on the 5 ghz wifi, its fine and doesnt buffer or anything, yet when using apps or a browser, thats when il have buffering/loading that last 10-60 seconds. Sometimes il do a speedtest and it will drop to 0, im so confused.


doesn't sound like a WiFi problem, if what you say is occurring is on the same device.

I would say try using the Netgear in AP mode, and see where you are then.

View more options