Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Great line speed, Terrible Wifi

dimarie33
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hey guys. So two days ago we switched from plusnet FTTC to vodafone FTTP on the 200 mb package. We're getting 200 mb via ethernet on the pc which is awesome and the line/connection is super stable, but the wifi is so bad :Sad_face: .

Iv split the ssid, done a factory reset, but we're still having issues with constant disconnections all the time, which is weird because we're in a bungalow so im not even far from the router.

Has anyone else had issues with the vodafone wifi router? i do have a netgear router which i tested and had no issues, but sadly it doesnt support digital voice where as the vodafone router does. Iv also checked we're on the latest firmware. Im not sure what to do :Sad_face:

13 REPLIES 13

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@dimarie33 wrote:

Iv split the ssid, done a factory reset, but we're still having issues with constant disconnections all the time, 

Really, that shouldn't be  possible. Vodafone will usually have removed that option..

Ripshod

Could be you managed to split the ssid before the (old) firmware has updated. You may find later you'll lose access to that popular setting. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

Could be you managed to split the ssid before the (old) firmware has updated. You may find later you'll lose access to that popular setting. 

It usually gets the config download which removes the option first time you connect.

@dimarie33 You said you have the latest firmware. how do you know? Vodafone do not usually release that info?

I just compared to others on the forum from recent posts

Jayach

@dimarie33 wrote:

I just compared to others on the forum from recent posts

Ah, great. Probably 19.2.0307-3261013 then.

Your pictures have not been moderated yet, but it sounds like you are not getting the correct config file. (or any config file at all)

Are you on Pro, do you have the booster(s)?

Ah sorry i didnt know the pics needed to be checked. its firmware 19.4.0551-3261103 . Do you think this config thing is why im having issues with wifi? also why have they removed splitting ssid, that makes no sense lol, same as them removing channels too

nope not on pro and no boosters, then bungalow is pretty small though lol

Jayach

Unfortunately I don't think the config is causing the poor WiFi, it's just an inconsistency.

I have a reasonable sized bungalow with solid walls and the THG3000 covers it fine, and reaches to the end of my 50ft garden. (pretty weak but usable, even the 5Gz)

I would not expect the THG3000 to have poorer WiFi than the PlusNet router. Which router did you have?

Is the Vodafone router in the same place as the PlusNet previously?

You could try reporting the problem to Vodafone, and see if they have any suggestions, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Use live chat https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/ or call 08080 034 515.

If you don't have to return the PlusNet router, you could try using it as an access point, but that would be an untidy workaround. 

Jayach

@dimarie33 wrote:

also why have they removed splitting ssid, that makes no sense lol, same as them removing channels too

Ah, if they have removed the channels for you, you are getting a config file. It's only on Pro that they remove the option to split them.

Why, because they believe their software knows better than us how to configure our routers. 🤔

Thanks for your help so far btw jay.  I was using a netgear r6800 router, but as i need that digital voice thing now i need to stick with the vodafone wifi hub. I did try my netgear router and has no wifi issues at all, so its definitely the wifi hub. Its in the same place as before. Hmm im not sure what to do