Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Great line speed, Terrible Wifi

dimarie33
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hey guys. So two days ago we switched from plusnet FTTC to vodafone FTTP on the 200 mb package. We're getting 200 mb via ethernet on the pc which is awesome and the line/connection is super stable, but the wifi is so bad :Sad_face: .

Iv split the ssid, done a factory reset, but we're still having issues with constant disconnections all the time, which is weird because we're in a bungalow so im not even far from the router.

Has anyone else had issues with the vodafone wifi router? i do have a netgear router which i tested and had no issues, but sadly it doesnt support digital voice where as the vodafone router does. Iv also checked we're on the latest firmware. Im not sure what to do :Sad_face:

13 REPLIES 13

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You should be able to set your Netgear to AP (Access Point) mode, and just have it replace the Wi-Fi in the Vodafone router. Then you still have the phone connection on the Vodafone.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Criminal waste of a decent router, but needs must.

I didnt even think of using it in AP mode! great idea., iv never actually done that before, could this cause any issues like speed reduction? its so strange because saying for example im watching a stream on the 5 ghz wifi, its fine and doesnt buffer or anything, yet when using apps or a browser, thats when il have buffering/loading that last 10-60 seconds. Sometimes il do a speedtest and it will drop to 0, im so confused.

Jayach

Using it in AP mode should have no effect on speed whatsoever. (in fact the Netgear is AC1900, and the Vodafone AC1200, so it theoretically has faster WiFi)

The only problem is:

@dimarie33 wrote:

its so strange because saying for example im watching a stream on the 5 ghz wifi, its fine and doesnt buffer or anything, yet when using apps or a browser, thats when il have buffering/loading that last 10-60 seconds. Sometimes il do a speedtest and it will drop to 0, im so confused.

doesn't sound like a WiFi problem, if what you say is occurring is on the same device.

I would say try using the Netgear in AP mode, and see where you are then.

Hmm thats weird. Heres screenshots showing the options. Still hasnt helped the bad wifi though lolsplit.jpgfirm.jpg