main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Other broadband queries

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

Highlighted
2: Seeker

As an update I have again asked for my login and password, and have been given totally different credentials from the ones I was orignally given. Has anyone else had this before? 

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

It happens time and time again!

And just make sure the username looks similar to "dsl0123456789&broadband.vodafone.co.uk" for domestic customers!

Get them to send it via email :Winking_smiley:

View more options
Highlighted
13: Advanced Member

@KeithAlger wrote:

And just make sure the username looks similar to "dsl0123456789&broadband.vodafone.co.uk" for domestic customers!

Asking for it using chat gives it to you in writing and you can get the chatr record emailed to you.

View more options
Highlighted

@KeithAlger wrote:

Wish I'd known this last night, must have wasted about 3 hours checking every little detail thinking I was doing something incorrect!

Copied it from chat in a notepad file and got the transcript emailed over as well. I shall try with the new details this evening.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi there folks.

Has anyone got a ASUS DSL-AC88U operational on Vodafone superfast 2.

I have had the router for over a year and it worked perfectly up until the switch over to VF. It picks up the DSL link and states it as "up" but just wont connect. I have run out of ideas.

View more options
Highlighted

@j_g wrote:

@KeithAlger wrote:

Wish I'd known this last night, must have wasted about 3 hours checking every little detail thinking I was doing something incorrect!

Copied it from chat in a notepad file and got the transcript emailed over as well. I shall try with the new details this evening.

New login connected almost immediately much quicker than the vodafone router. Can't beleive I'd been given the wrong info twice!

View more options
Highlighted

Historically I've had a couple of ASUS DSL-AC88U modem+routers set up here for testing due to WiFi issues on the units - the issues being confirmed but were unable to fix.  Actually setting up the DSL-AC88U to work with Vodafone should be a doddle once you have the correct username and password.

*FYI: The issue with the ASUS DSL-AC88U that we were investigating was slow WiFi.  We simply couldn't get the 5GHz WiFi to sync to anything at above about 180Mbps - irrespective of brand and capability of the client devices.  Compare that to the "usual" router(s) in operation here, an RT-AC86U meshed with an RT-AC68U (connected together via powerline), both of which quite happily sync to multiple devices at 866Mbps with local speed tests showing throughputs between 300-400Mbps on the 5GHz WiFi.

View more options
Highlighted
1: Seeker

New Vodafone customer here. I can't stress how much you should repeatedly request your DSL user/pass if your 3rd party router does not work. Just spent far too long trying to work out why my Zyxel was failing to connect. Finally recontacted Vodafone Support in frustration. Was given a different user/pass. That didn't work. But by combining the user from one support call and the pass from another got it working.

It's absolutely astoning to me how some a fundamental piece of information cannot be distributed to customers in an accurate matter.

Now we'll see if the connection becomes more stable. If it doesn't I'm cancelling the service and heading right back to Plus.net where we've been rock solid for years.

View more options
Highlighted

What is the best modem with support for as many formats as possible? VDSL2 can also be G.Fast for the future.

Mirek

View more options
Highlighted

Native G.Fast routers are still few and far between - and the ones that are out there seem to have other issues.  Genuinely if you are going for a high-end router then I'd go with a separate modem such as the Huawei HG612 V3B (higher speed on clean lines) or Draytek Vigor 130 (Handles noisy lines better).

View more options
Highlighted

Hi all, 

I've just bought an Asus Rt-Ac86U router.

I've called VF and have been given my username and password. 

As this router does not have a built in Modem I have been advised I need to continue using the Vf supplied router but need to change it to 'bridge' mode. Anyone know how we do that?

I have an IT background but nothing in terms of networking so am out of my depth. 

View more options
Highlighted
13: Advanced Member

The original Vodafone could not be set to run in bridge mode.  I don't know about the later one, but I would be surprised if Vodafone were to provide this feature.

An ebay BT modem HG612 would do what you want.   The one I have cost £10 delivered, but there are fewer of them now at that price.  Returning your Asus router and getting one that supports VDSL2 would be another option.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @YorkshireViking our devices can't currently be set up bridge mode, sorry!

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but if I am I'll start a new post - but here goes.

I'm fed up with the HHG2500 due to many issues, but mainly because I want to run my own VPN server. I've considered a LAN connected TP-Link Archer C7 running DD-wrt, but that's turning out to be an almighty struggle getting the correct settings in the HHG2500.

So I've ordered a Draytek Vigor 2762 which is an ADSL/VDSL2 router having a built in VPN server. I will need a Vodafone userID and password for the login which as I understand can be given out by contacting the elves. I'm hoping that the Draytek will give me comparative or improved internet performance as the current setup,, but I'm a little confused about the DSL mode that my line has. According to the connection information, I have G.993.5 (VDSL). Having looked up the specification, ITU G.993.1 corresponds to VDSL and has a maximum rate of 55 Mbit/s and ITU G.993.2 is VDSL2 and has a rate of 200 Mbit/s. However it seems that ITU G.993.5 is VDSL2 vectoring which I'm hoping my Draytek can support.

Has anyone successfully used a Draytek Vigor 2762 to connect to Vodafone - if so what settings should I use?

HHG2500 Connection infoHHG2500 Connection info

View more options
Highlighted

Assuming you are on superfast 2 then its supplied by OpenReach using VDSL2 Mode 17A which on the cabinets usually top out at 80Mbps.  That maximum speed though is negotiated between the cabinet and the modem, so it's likely you'll see only a small speed improvement over the VF modem/router (the modem side is not that bad!).

The basic settings for getting the connection up and running are pretty much the same as have been listed here for other modem/routers though the set up pages are more convoluted.  It really just comes down to having your username, password, and being able to express VLAN 101 on the internet connection!

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

@KeithAlger wrote:

Assuming you are on superfast 2 then its supplied by OpenReach using VDSL2 Mode 17A which on the cabinets usually top out at 80Mbps.  That maximum speed though is negotiated between the cabinet and the modem, so it's likely you'll see only a small speed improvement over the VF modem/router (the modem side is not that bad!).

The basic settings for getting the connection up and running are pretty much the same as have been listed here for other modem/routers though the set up pages are more convoluted.  It really just comes down to having your username, password, and being able to express VLAN 101 on the internet connection!

You were correct - the Draytek was straightforward to set up and it connects with mode 17A. Although yesterday the speed was up around the same as the VF, but today it seems to have dropped a tad but still perfectly acceptable. Now for the real job of installing the VPN server.

Draytek DSL StatusDraytek DSL Status

View more options
Highlighted

Has anybody manager to get a vigor 130 working using a TP-Link Deco M9 as the router?  I just cannot get the internet to connect.  Have followed all of the advice on here setting the PPOE username and password and setting VLAN to 101.  

View more options
Highlighted

It may be helpful to initially connect a computer to the modem directly.  You can then set up a new connection (via control panel Internet options not network in windows), so you get to put the username and password in via the connection details.  The advantage is that you might get to see if Vodafone has given you the incorrect details - which they are pretty darn good at!

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @md21425, the Vigor 130 is compatible with Openreach's infrastructure, so you shouldn't be having issues connecting here. I'd recommend following @KeithAlger's steps, and if these don't work for you, dropping our Social Media team a message here.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks Jack.  Will try that!

View more options