main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

aioderek
4: Newbie

No problem, May clearly doesn’t have a clue! You will get the username and password.. all the best 👍🏼

View more options
philguk

@DaneB

ive only just seen your reply, and I don’t seem to have a PM from you?

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

@philguk I've popped you over another private message with details on how to get in touch. Let us know if you receive it 👍

View more options
fuzz28
2: Seeker

Hi there,

I have a  Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless router. Would this be compatible with Vodafone Broadband?  I also have an openreach modem that was previously connected to BT Internet, would I still be able to use this along with the router, or would i need a new modem.

Many thanks for your help

View more options
machare
13: Advanced Member

@fuzz28 wrote:

I have a  Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless router. Would this be compatible with Vodafone Broadband?  I also have an openreach modem that was previously connected to BT Internet, would I still be able to use this along with the router, or would i need a new modem.

That routern does not appear to support VDSL2 so it can not connect to a Vodafone FTTC phone line. It should work with an HG612 which would probably need to be unlocked.

View more options
MrWhite
10: Established

@machare wrote:

@fuzz28 wrote:

That routern does not appear to support VDSL2 so it can not connect to a Vodafone FTTC phone line. It should work with an HG612 which would probably need to be unlocked.

That's not necessarily true. The BT modem should just connect without being unlocked. If the router has settings to set VLAN to 101 then you should get a connection. As you've already got these it's worth a try.

View more options
Mark

@fuzz28 To check if these routers are part of our approved list, contact our Broadband Live Chat team and we'll be happy to check them and advise on the next steps required to get one connected 😊

View more options
leniideas
1: Seeker

Hi

I;ve been with Vodafone for a year and now have a great "full" service with very few drop outs.

When I first signed up, the Vodafone fiber router dropped a couple of times and hour. I spent many hours on the phone to Vodafone support trying various settings, rebooting lines etc.

The upshot is the Vodafone router is rubbish. It cannot realistically support more than 5 devices wirelessly. I found this out but trawling through loads of user posts.

My solution (which allows me to still receive Vodafone support if I ever need it) is to use to use their fiber router as a "modem" only. So I have turned off wifi and DHCP and pass the signal via ethernet cable to an Apple Airport extreme (any decent router will do). The Aiport provides the DHCP and network addresses and can easily handle multiple devices. I rarely have any downtime at all anymore and it never lasts more than 5 minutes.

Alot of people are struggling with the vodafone router by the sounds of things... its the router and nothing else... change it, don't waste hours of time trying to solve this problem. Either use a third party router directly attached to your service entery point  (get the user name etc from vodafone) or if they do not support the device you want to use just daisy chain your router of choice onto the vodafone router, remembering to set your device to bridge mode. The settings of the vodafone router are easily change throught the web management interface.

By the way if you use the airport express and get a double NAT error, ignore it, it won't affect your set up.

Hope this helps.

wrote:

I'm suffering intermittant connection drops where all internet is lost so not just a WiFi issue. 

OpenReach have been out a few times, have found nothing wrong but squeezed a slightly improved speed on last visit.

Can people advise if changing the Vodafone router has resolved this type of issue as I'm getting tired of connection disconnects?

View more options
fuzz28

Many thanks for the reply,  I have set vlan to 101,  used the correct username (with @broadband.vodofone.cuk) password, unlocked the huewei  hg612 etc, but not having any luck connecting. I was wondering if anyone has any further suggestions, or will i probably have to buy another router? One thing ive noticed is as soon as I set vlan to 101, on the connection status it doesn't recognise any form of connection at all.  Before I set the vlan to 101, it does detect dns. addresses

View more options
machare

@fuzz28wrote:

@Many thanks for the reply,  I have set vlan to 101,  used the correct username (with @Broadband.vodofone.cuk) password, unlocked the huewei  hg612 etc, but not having any luck connecting. I was wondering if anyone has any further suggestions, or will i probably have to buy another router? One thing ive noticed is as soon as I set vlan to 101, on the connection status it doesn't recognise any form of connection at all.  Before I set the vlan to 101, it does detect dns. addresses

It is vodafone.co.uk not vodofone

The Wan port of the Billion should be connected to the HG612 using an ethernet cable.

You then need to tell the Billion to use the Wan port,

When you do this what other parameters does the Billion ask for?

View more options
fuzz28

@macharewrote:

@fuzz28wrote:

@Many thanks for the reply,  I have set vlan to 101,  used the correct username (with @Broadband.vodofone.cuk) password, unlocked the huewei  hg612 etc, but not having any luck connecting. I was wondering if anyone has any further suggestions, or will i probably have to buy another router? One thing ive noticed is as soon as I set vlan to 101, on the connection status it doesn't recognise any form of connection at all.  Before I set the vlan to 101, it does detect dns. addresses

It is vodafone.co.uk not vodofone

The Wan port of the Billion should be connected to the HG612 using an ethernet cable.

You then need to tell the Billion to use the Wan port,

When you do this what other parameters does the Billion ask for?

Yep I know, just a typo here rather than on the system.  I've connected the hg612 to the ewan port on my billion.

A screenshot is below of what I've entered.  Not sure how well you can see it. Maybe i need to repost it.

billion2.jpg

View more options
machare

I can't see the screen shot.  I am a little surprised about the Vlan option as that is normally  a VDSL parameter,

View more options
fuzz28

@macharewrote:

I can't see the screen shot.  I am a little surprised about the Vlan option as that is normally  a VDSL parameter,

The screen shot doesn't read easily on the main screen, but if you click on the picture it zooms in and you can see more detail.   I've set 101 on vlan, not sure what I'm doing wrong or maybe it's just not compatible.

View more options
machare

Try not selecting IPV6

View more options
rodgerredhat
1: Seeker

Thanks for this clarity.

Anyone else find that speeds are slower with your own routers vs Vodafone’s?

Vodafone: 25Mb

Draytek Vigor 2862AC: 21Mb

Bit strange. I couldn’t find the 802.1Q setting but didn’t suppose that would affect the speed?

cheers

View more options
prs1000

Hi,

I have a BT homehub 5 unlocked with LEDE installed. Anyone used this with vodafone? I have the pppoe username and password and set vlan to 101. The router shows me sync speed max connection speed etc ( faster than the VF router syncs at by the way) but I just can't get on to the internet. 

So many settings! I usually like lots of settings as you can tweak everything but this is just confusing the hell out of me.

View more options
machare

#PRS1000

Do you have:

userid in  the format dsl000123456atvodafone.co.uk  where at is an @ sign

authentication auto

obtain IP address automatically

Vlan active

802.1p = 0  (may not matter much)

802.1q =101

You don't want IPv6.

View more options
prs1000

@macharewrote:

#PRS1000

Do you have:

@userid in  the format dsl000123456atvodafone.co.uk  where at is an @ sign

authentication auto

obtain IP address automatically

Vlan active

802.1p = 0  (may not matter much)

802.1q =101

You don't want IPv6.

The interface in LEDE didn't seem that simple but I was given a link that help and I am now connected. 

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/download/file.php?id=394

Took 2 minutes having spent 3 hours on it last night and this morning. 

View more options
prs1000

Thought it might be useful to show the router I purchased off ebay

@prs1000

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off  advertising content please see our Community Guidelines]

View more options
prs1000

@prs1000wrote:

Thought it might be useful to show the router I purchased off ebay

@prs1000

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off  advertising content please see our Community Guidelines]

Oops! The router is a LEDE OpenWRT Unlocked BT Home Hub 5 Fibre VDSL2 Gigabit wireless AC vpn router

🙂

View more options