cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do you get a Windows 7 laptop to see Vodafone broadband? SOLVED!

Gobsheeite
4: Newbie

SOLVED: Just to save anyone else with the same problem trawling through the whole of this thread, all you have to do do is to download the old Vodafone mobile app v4.1.0 

and change the channel setting from 12 down to 5. Thanks to all the contributors on this thread

-------

Hi I switched to Vodafone broadband couple of months back and I've only just starting using my old Windows 7 laptop and it won't connect to Vodafone, it won't even see it, my laptop can see all the Wi-Fi in the neighbourhood just not my own Vodafone router, I've tried split in the signal to 2.4 GHz but it's still cannot see the Vodafone router, even added a guest login, still can't see it at all, I can temporarily share the WiFi with my phone and it connects no problem. How do you get a Windows 7 laptop to see Vodafone broadband?

15 REPLIES 15

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The first possibility is that the laptop can't use channels 12&13 on the 2.4Ghz (I assume the laptop is 2.4Ghz only)

Check what channel the router is using in the router's interface under Status&Support.

Main Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz

Status
On
Name
vodafone0403xx
MAC Address
d4:35:1d:04:03:xx
Security
WPA2-PSK
Channel
Bandwidth
72 Mbps
Max BW
288 Mbps
Minimum Sync Speed
72 Mbps

If it is 12 or 13 let us know and we can suggest ways to get the laptop to be able to use them.

I'm using the Vodafone mobile app and it doesn't seem to have status and support so not sure where I will give the channel 

Jayach

Never use the app myself, it's pretty useless. If you use a Wi-Fi analyser on the phone it should tell you what channel it is using.

If you don't have a device you can use to conveniently log in to the user interface at 192.168.1.1, you could use the laptop with an Ethernet cable, (if it has an Ethernet port)

"Check what channel the router is using in the router's interface under Status&Support"

I still don't know what you're looking at. Assume I'm not vaguely interested in router settings 😁. In only here because I'm stuck. So where exactly did you find this information about the channel that I can change it?????

Yeap checked my mobile WiFi spec, checked the router login 192.168.1.1

Nowhere does it mention "Channel"

I'll need to refer to the WiFi router settings for ignoramous forum 🙂 simply no clue what you're looking at, not a Scooby

Jayach

I think the problem is that you are using a phone, it's soooo much easier on a proper browser.

The best advice I can give is for you to use an old version of the Vodafone app as that will allow you to set your own channel. The version you want is v4.1.0. It is available from various alternate app stores.

See this thread: 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Channels-manual-change/m-p/2708290

Have you considered upgrading the laptop to Windows 10? It's still a free upgrade.

I found the setting in the web page but how do I change it?

Jayach

You can't, except by using the old app. (see above)

I just wanted to know if the reason you can't connect is because it is on 12 or 13. Is it?

Yes it's on 12