main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

How many devices do you have connected to your hub?

DanMason87
2: Seeker

I am repeatedly told I have too many devices on my network, around 60. Most of these are TP Link Wifi Plug Sockets. I have a 80 mbps speed and have no issues with streaming. I appreciate that it is a lot and it may cause congestion, but in this world now where pretty much every device has WiFi what are you meant to do? Vodafone are telling me they will not support with any more issues because I am using too many devices. Any ideas?

View more options
21 REPLIES 21
CrimsonLiar
13: Advanced Member

60 is a lot, but as your TP_link sockets will spend most of their time sleeping and they each only keep a single connection open, then it shouldn't be a problem provided they are not too far from the router!  Just a couple of streaming WiFi cameras in the garden is likely to hit the average WiFi far harder than smart plugs!

I guess the question is, what are you needing to contact Vodafone support about?

View more options
DanMason87

Well ultimately i think it’s the CPU power of the router causes it to konk out. 

I’ve just ordered an £180 ASU’s router which I hope helps! 

View more options
CrimsonLiar

In what way is it konking out and which Asus router did you order?

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

@DanMason87 wrote:

Well ultimately i think it’s the CPU power of the router causes it to konk out. 

I’ve just ordered an £180 ASU’s router which I hope helps! 

Personally I think the amount of memory is a greater limiting factor on number of devices than CPU power.

I'm sure just about any router in that price range will perform much better than the Vodafone one, which is very much built down to a price,

Are you getting a DSL router, or are you going to use a separate modem? (unless you are on FTTP)

View more options
DanMason87
View more options
DanMason87

It’s like it gets overwhelmed or stalls. Then reboots and everything falls off and then struggles to connect. 

hoping that this router will be able to cope. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/GBUK/product-10222380-pdt.html

View more options
Jayach

I'm sure it will. The Sci-Fi aesthetics are not to my taste, but it has got good reviews and the Asus's are very popular,

What you describe as the problem is just what would happen with an overloaded router.

Good luck.

You do know you will need to get your username and password from Vodafone?

Live chat is probably the easiest way to do that. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

View more options
DanMason87

Already have that ready. 

it’s a shame I’ll loose the 4G backup and super WiFi but I’d rather a stable network! 

View more options
Jayach

It says it will support a 3G/4G LTE dongle, so you may be able to use that.

View more options
CrimsonLiar

Yup the DSL-AX82U will support mobile broadband modems - it's a complete faff setting them up, uses the single USB port, and does result in some other weirdity!

The concern (possibly unfounded) I have with the DSL-AX82U is that it has just 256MB of memory, which (excluding caches etc) is less than my RT-AC86U is currently using - though I don't know what it's using it for!

View more options
THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

Get a Mikrotik :Smiling:

This is decent home lab router
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009ug_s_in

Attach to it (via ethernet cable) as many Access Points as you want
https://mikrotik.com/product/cap_xl_ac

Can get PoE switch, can connect via SFP ports as well :Smiling:
Future proof, no more upgrade,s or just upgrade section of network :Winking_smiley:

Mikrotik UK distributor - https://linitx.com/

View more options
CrimsonLiar

Oh goody, does this mean we have someone on here who can support Microtik products now!  All that leaves us missing is anyone who can talk advanced Ubiquity!

View more options
DanMason87

I’ve tried all day to sort it out, and totally failed. So it’s heading back to the shop! 

View more options
CrimsonLiar

In what way did the new router fail?  During set up, or when connecting devices?

View more options
DanMason87

Setup. It just would not connect (MODEM VERSION). I had the username and password and all the other settings and nothing. 

View more options
CrimsonLiar

It's more than likely that Vodafone either gave you the wrong username/password  (get them sent so you can copy & paste) or forgot to tell you that the username ends in @broadband.vodafone.co.uk

The only other setting you really need is VLAN: 101

Personally in the WAN>Internet Connection Settings: I'd leave the connect to DNS servers automatically yes (can help with initial connection speed), and then change your local DNS if you want to in the LAN>DHCP settings (bypasses the router DNS caching though).

View more options
DanMason87

I think this is more technical than I really get to be honest. I’ve tried a lot of settings yesterday and just kept going in circles. I followed a few tips on here and couldn’t get it working either. I double checked with VF twice and the details are right. :Sad_face:

View more options
THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

You do not have to!!

Buy hAP ac³ LTE6 kit (Router + LTE|4G backup)
[Removed]

with Access Points cAP XL ac
[Removed]

That are connected via ethernet cable to the router and you are good to go!

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

View more options
DanMason87
View more options