cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IP location showing incorrect location (wrong country!)

mister_b
2: Seeker

For some reason our IP location is showing as India.

I first discovered the issue when contacting NowTV support re an issue with their app not playing downloads offline. They told me my location was showing as India therefore the downloads wouldn't work - being only for UK etc. I was a little sceptical until I happened to be on the WhiteStuff website later that day, and it asked me if my location was correct as India!

Doing a quick search online to see what my IP address was, brought up only about 1 website showing my IP organization as 'Vodafone India', the rest all show it as a UK IP address.

I then discovered the Sky Store website was showing no options to buy or rent films, as they're 'only available in the UK'.

After contacting Vodafone, they did something which sorted the SkyStore issue and removed the location query from WhiteStuff.com. Having thought it was sorted, I've just spotted on my Twitter page a promoted advert by 'Samsung India' and below that on my 'Who to follow' list it's reccomending 'MumbaiPolice'! The NowTV app is also still not playing the downloads offline (not sure if it's a related issue).

I've done another check for ISP online and have found two more websites showing our IP address as being in India.

Any ideas why this is happening? I don't understand why most websites are showing the IP as UK and only a few as India.

: )

Screenshot_20190616-220408_Opera Touch.jpgScreenshot 2019-06-24 at 18.37.53.pngScreenshot 2019-06-24 at 18.38.35.png

12 REPLIES 12

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mister_b This seems really strange 😕 I appreciate how frustrating this must be when messages are populating whilst browsing the internet, regarding your IP address and this showing as India. So this can be investigated and escalated if needed, please contact our team via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Don't forget to include the link to this thread, along with your username.

Webby1964

I know this about a month old, but ive been having the same problem for months. it was resolved at the end of june, at apparently a cost of a chunk of out download speed, but has since reverted back to india. I got a call from support today, saying thirdline had reported no problem, IP reports to be from swindon (no where near me) and that its my other services fault. Ive asked for a fixed ip to see if that can help resolve but i dont hold hope. Any luck your end?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's down to the third-party databases that content providers use to tell them your location based on your IP address.

I'm in the North East of England but currently, my IP address is a Vodafone one that's allocated in these third-party databases to Belfast Northern Ireland.  As such without intervention, I can stream everything from RTE at the moment, but I've not found anything that I can't stream that I normally could.

All you can really do with this at the moment is complain to the content providers as it's an issue with the data they are using and not Vodafone.  It's a problem that is going to continue at least until Vodafone switch to the IPv6 protocol (which they are trialling - somewhat incompetently as those of us with third-party routers can occasionally catch IP6 addresses)!

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Webby1964 We can look into this further and see what options we have available to fix the IP address for you. Please get in touch via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or contact us on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

Alternatively, you can speak to an adviser using Live Chat. Please also provide a link to this thread, along with your username; this will save time and we’ll be able to help you quicker.

Are you using a VPN is one of the most idiotic & ignorent questions to ask someone who's made it perfectly clear that had they were using a VPN, they would of disabled it to see if it fixed their problem.

Myself is struggling with this. I'm unable to use Amazon Prime, Channel 4, ITV or BBC Catchup services online as they keep saying services are not available to users outside the UK. 

They've put me on a fixed IP from the dynamic IP. Which has made the problem even worse. Because before, I just had to reconnect to get a new IP every few days to regain access to services before it starts again. Now I can't do anything & I've also noticed sometimes randomly, my internet speed just stops working, unable to reach address for a few minutes & then starts working again.

I can tell you something, I won't be renewing my contract again because I've been unable to use the services like I''ve said since Christmas when I first discovered this problem. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We'll get to the bottom of this for you @VsUK1981. So we can help, please pop us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your Community username and a link of to your post here. You then won't need to repeat your query again and we can help 👍

I appreciate the offer. But I've spent far too much time already on the phone, over online chat & messages via facebook which instigated some of the conversations. Popping into the store is pointless because all they do is tell you to call the support number. Makes me wonder what the point of the stores are seeing as they'll be more than happy to sell you the home broadband, but fob you off when you need help. 

I've had enough!

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@VsUK1981 If you change your mind, you know where to find us and we'll be happy to finally get things sorted for you :Thumbs_Up:

myinstagramni

Mine does the same first saying Surrey in England then Wakefield when I live in Northern Ireland makes online gaming awkward expecting to hear an English accent then hearing a Northern Irish one instead and steam blames your provider.