Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New to Vodafone - internet not working properly

Newbie22
2: Seeker

I can see from other posts that the problem I'm having looks like it's shared by others, but is not giving me a lot of faith as a new customer. The Nationwide app on my phone and website on computer won't let me login. Couldn't pay insurance on MoreThan website. All works fine when I'm using mobile (non-Vodafone) data.

Online chat yesterday morning said it was controls that should be set to off, and would be working in 24 hours. Didn't.

Call to tech support today said controls should be on and fixed it while i was on phone. App and website worked. 30 mins later when i checked, they weren't working again.

I've never had a problem like this with a previous provider. Beginning to regret the switch if basic web requirements like internet banking are going to be a problem.

Does anyone know what the problem is and if Vodafone have given estimated time to fix?

12 REPLIES 12

etiolated
4: Newbie

I've also had problems accessing Nationwide banking on the PC and the android app. However, after trying a few more times it worked on both. Some other sites have given intermittent problems (take ages to load, pictures often don't load):

www.BBC.co.uk

www.gooutdoors.co.uk

However other sites fail to load altogether, and consistently so, and tracert for these times out part way:

www.peppermintmag.com

findit.bham.ac.uk

not convinced that Vodafone are doing much about it, given the number of people who have flagged the same issue. Its not exactly a new one either, you'll get search results going back years.

Thanks for your reply. I must say I'm incredulous. Just checked BBC.co.uk and BBC news app - 1st wouldn't load, 2nd loaded but no pictures.

This is just really poor, and it sounds like I won't get anywhere with getting it fixed.

My old provider was excellent. Only changed because we wanted fibre, but couldn't get it without having new FTTP line and old provider not offering that yet.

I'm now stuck on a contract with Vodafone and what is seeming like it's going to be a shoddy service with loads of frustrating time and energy chasing them to try and fix it.

www.lidl.co.uk comes and goes too.

Yeah, two months in with Vodafone, stung by an "annual" price rise (inflation plus x, what a cheat) and the service gets flaky. This is more than an irritation, I can find other news websites but I need the access to the uni library, and Nationwide banking obviously, there are no alternatives.

tenbeans86

I had this problem with my parents Vodafone broadband. They couldn’t use online banking because Vodafone’s DNS servers weren’t automatically telling their browser to use https instead of http. A temporary fix is to click into the address and put the ‘s’ in yourself but here’s how I fixed it properly:

- Log onto the router by browsing to 192.168.1.1

- Log into it using the password printed on the bottom of the router (not the wifi key).

- Change from “Basic mode” to “Expert mode” (if you are on a mobile device rather than a computer you might need to tap the little black menu button in the top right to find it)

- Once in Expert mode, under Internet, choose “DNS & DDNS”

- Change DNS Configuration from “Automatically” to “Manually”

- You will see boxes separated with dots. This is the IP address of the DNS server you want to use. There are two free DNS servers online that are good and both have easy to remember addresses: 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. I put all 1’s in the top boxes and all 8’s in the bottom as the secondary (you can put any you like in but these worked for me. 8.8.8.8 is actually run by Google). 
- Click the Apply button

- I think that instantly fixed it but if you are still having problems, try restarting the router by turning it off and on again after you have made the change in case the new settings haven’t taken effect. 

Good luck!

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@tenbeans86  Hmmm, you're replying to a thread that's over a year old.

People still having this problem will find this post regardless of how old it is. Hopefully my answer will help them. If not, no harm done. I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you.

Cynric

@tenbeans86  Not particularly worried, it's already been answered elsewhere.

Jayach

@tenbeans86 wrote:

I had this problem with my parents Vodafone broadband. They couldn’t use online banking because Vodafone’s DNS servers weren’t automatically telling their browser to use https instead of http.

That is not what DNS servers do.