Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PC access issues since moving to Fibre

Frogeye
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,  two plus weeks ago vodafone switched our standard broadband line to a fibre connection.  Ever since switching to fibre my PC has not been able to connect to the web unless using Nord VPN.   All other devices work fine.  I have reset the router and disabled both router firewall and windows firewall but still cant access the web without using VPN.  I have flushed and reset DNS and IP connections from command prompt but this did not fix access issues.  I did get temporary internet access after router reset, DNS / IP flush and changing DNS settings to OpenDNS - fixed work for a short while then stopped.  I can ping various sites from command prompt but a lot of tests time out.  When i review the router log I see a lot of red firewall notifications so it looks like some thing in the router is blocking the PC.  I have spoken to various people at vodafone but haven't managed to speak to anyone with enough technical knowledge to fix the issue.   Throughout all tests and trials the moment i switch to Nord VPN everything works.  Unless i fix this issue I'm leaving Vodafone because my pc is a vital piece of equipment for my family.  Anyone got an ideas on how to fix?

14 REPLIES 14

Hi, so I uninstalled Nord to see if Nord was interfering .  No change.

Then i connected to mobile hotspot as suggested and full internet browsing is restored.  Success.

So is it a router connection issue?  Now i can connect I'm updating my drivers in case they could be an issue.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It's very strange, the fact it works fine on a hotspot says the problem is with the router, but I can't imagine just what it may be.

I'm wondering if a factory reset of the router will help and if it doesn't then try changing the DNS to cloudflare/google. Jayach_0-1678377781799.png

And try disabling IPv6 on the router. Jayach_0-1700771853436.png

Thank you Jayach, your solution is working for the moment.  I  ipconfig flushed DNS etc, then factory reset router and then set the DNS as instructed.  One question.  Why disable the IPV6?

Jayach

@Frogeye wrote:
Why disable the IPV6?

Because it is known that Vodafone's implementation is having problems in it's early stages. Not everyone has it and it's seems to be only new starters and upgrades that have it.

Hopefully they will soon have the bugs worked out, but unless you have a need for it, probably best to disable it for the moment.

Cynric