Ask

Solution

Plex won't download to devices

dogmanessex
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Evening all,

Hopefully someone can help?

I have recently taken up a Vodafone fibre connection. Slowly in the process of getting everything up and running. One of my main issues is around Plex Media Server.

I can stream everything fine at home and away from home. The problem is around downloading media to any device to watch when offline. When at home I click to download, it shows that is working but nothing downloads.

What is more confusing is that when accessing the server externally (be that through mobile data or external WIFI) I can download.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cards on the table: I have a love-hate relationship with Plex!  I've paid for licenses for features that no longer exist, and while far more polished than it used to be, functionally it was probably better a few years back!

So your exact issue!  Are you seeing an error message when you try?  I can't download via Plex either locally or remotely because I don't have Plex Pass, which I assume you have!  *I have multiple other ways to achieve this without Plex though!

No error message at all. It says that it was added to the download queue however when I go to the download queue, it says "downloading" but that is it, nothing ever downloads not even 1%.

The curious thing is that it downloads outside of the house! So the router is obviously letting data upload, it just won't do it to a device on the same network.

I had the same problem. Download used to work then suddenly stopped working when on home wifi but ok when on mobile data it external connection. Fixed it by adding a manual connection in plex android app settings under advanced. Put in the lan IP of my server and it's back to working.

K