Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Port forwarding to different subnet

bradmca2021
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a static public IP - Vodafone router (THG3000), ASUS AiMesh routers at home. 

The Vodafone router is the 192.168.1.1 gateway, Wi-Fi off, just connecting to the main AiMesh node which has DHCP WiFi etc running and is on a 192.168.40.x network along with all my devices.

The above works very nicely.

What I would like help with from some clever networking people is how can I port forward to make one device accessible from the internet. It seems the 192.168.1.1 router isn't allowing mapping to anywhere other than 192.168.1.x - am I missing something? - could I allocate the AiMesh network to a LAN range of 192.168.1.2-255 ?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I don't think you are going to be able to do what you want.

You are double NATing. What is double NAT and why is it bad? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you are on FTTP you could replace the Vodafone router with the ASUS.

If you are on FTTC you will need a modem to replace the THG3000, as it doesn't have a modem only mode.

Maybe someone else can come up with a better solution.

CrimsonLiar

I guess my question would have to be what is the device that you are trying to port forward to?  If it's a NAS, then could that NAS take over the DHCP duties, leaving the VF router to act as gateway and NAT controller, with the AiMesh system just working as an access point?  You could then decide on how you want to manage your subnets, but it probably wouldn't be necessary (or even advisable).

While I say the above will work, it's also easy to break!

I guess I'm also curious as to whether you are on FTTC or FTTP!

I'm FTTC - currently got a couple of modems on ebay on watch  - Draytek Vigor 130 & BT Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B which if the price is right will just be a modem to my AiMesh network where it's all controlled.

Cheers everyone!

Hmm, our 7yo Draytek Vigor130 failed during the very hot weather.  I have an unlocked HG612 V3B here too, but that's even older.

With the Vigor 130 gone and not trusting the HG612 due to its age I did try a Zyxel VMG3925-B10C in bridge mode.  The Zyxel proved noticeably slower and required some playing with QOS to prevent major buffering.  Luckily last week I managed to pick up a Vigor166 without having to pay anywhere near full price.  

Lost or at the last second on two 130s on eBay tonight, will fish for another tomorrow.

Plugged the device straight into the thg3000 which now port forwards to a raspberry pi on the 1 network.

With a Raspberry Pi on the network, I'd install Pi-Hole on it and make it the DHCP server, then use the router for just NAT and as a gateway with the AiMesh providing WiFi and any additional network ports you need - all in  single subnet,

Got a used openreach modem for £20 from here https://amzn.to/3B9QuTU, 5 mins setup now everything's perfect

If you want to nerd out a bit, you should probably have a look at: https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Ended up with the ECI so will need to nerd out a lot by the look of that, something for a winter night 😃