Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pro router help

Selunar
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all, hoping for a little bit of advice/help please (apologies in advance for over-explaining). We have recently moved house and now have the Pro Full Fibre, but I'm feeling very frustrated with the lack of functions on the router, so considering switching back to my Asus router that I was using at our old house. 

I know we will lose the 4G backup/landline, but I'm not bothered about that in the slightest and I also don't even own a landline phone to plug in either. 

I currently can't connect any 2.4GHz only devices to my router and have no option to be able to change any of these settings on the router.

The WiFi signal is ok in most of the house, except for the extension where it repeatedly drops out. I plugged in the booster that came with the VF router but when setting it up with the app, it wouldn't let me put it further than 2m away from the router (albeit the other side of a wall) so that seems a bit pointless! 

There are no options to adjust the channels or do anything really. Even on "expert mode", I find the Vodafone router to be very basic and disappointing. 

At my old house I was using an ASUS DSL-AC68U and another RT-AC68U as a booster on the mesh system. I appreciate these are a bit older now though.

FYI I have 2 teenagers with gaming PCs they seem to be permanently attached to, so regularly have 2-3 devices gaming, plus a TV streaming/phones etc all the normal stuff. Our old house was an EOL so we had an awful 16down/0.8up if we were lucky and I want to make the most having some speed again!

So I guess my question is:

Is it worth setting up my old ASUS routers/will they work/how much agg do I need to go through to get the correct settings etc?

Or do I just accept I can't have any smart devices/control over anything etc.

Or save up and get a better router to replace it? (Suggestions would be great)

Thank you for reading if you made it this far!

*frustrated mum a little out-dated with tech by about 5 years 🙂

3 REPLIES 3

gipjon
16: Advanced member

or there is always plan c 

plug your ASUS DSL-AC68U into the Vodafone router and then you will have four wifi pickup points, and remember to turn off the DHCP and change the starting address on the Asus if you want to log into it etc. So it will be like before with the ASUS DSL-AC68U and RT-AC68U apart from it will be Vodafone and the ASUS.

Or even Vodafone then ASUS DSL-AC68U then RT-AC68U

I myself have a technicolour router plugged into an Edgerouter and then the Edgerouter is plugged into the Vodafone router which is connected to the internet 

.i can also log into any router for eg 

my Vodafone router is 192.168.0.1 

my edge router is 192.168.0.50

my technicolour router is 192.168.0.100 

Ripshod

You have kids that game so get your PPPoE details and get rid of the vodafone router.

Online chat:

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd 

dsl-ac68u as main if you're on fttc, or the rt-ac68u if you're on FTTP.

See how that goes.

If your landline phone plugged into the router there's ways to reinstate it if you want and keep the kids happy.

Additional: there is a way to use the dsl-ac68u as main on FTTP but it's a little more complex than just plugging your details in plus you lose a LAN port. 

Jayach

First thing, the construction of the new house may be different to the old, so maybe the ASUS's won't be as effective as they were.

Getting the credentials needed are no problem, just use live chat and ask. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/ (should they not work getting them right may take a bit longer, Vodafone are notorious for giving them out wrong)

Obviously as you are now on FTTP, you won't be using the DSL function of the ASUS.

Never apologise for too much info, sometimes it's hard work getting people to give us any info at all.