Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Reset Lost Wifi-Hub admin password - not general wifi password

pezz18
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am trying to log into the router settings by logging onto 192.168.1.1 however the password on the bottom of my router does not work, I have tried googling and also the web chat - Tobi (Useless) tells me it should be vodafone!

Have also managed to chat with a human, but they told be they had reset my router and the password on the bottom of my router should now work - after 2 days.  It's still not working, can someone from Vodafone please help me sort this!???

16 REPLIES 16

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Which router do you have? On theTHG3000 there is a reset button. Hold it in for 10 seconds and the router will do a factory reset. There should be something similar on the earlier router.

Thanks for your reply, yes its a THG3000. I have tried the reset button. I also (rightly or wrongly) tried a hard reset option:

1. Hold reset button in with pin for 30 seconds

2. Keep reset button pressed and turn power off for 30 seconds

3. Keeping reset button pressed - plug power cable back on for 30 seconds

This totally reset the router box and took a while for WiFi connection to come back. Unfortunately, when I went to 192.168.1.1 - the password on the sticker under the router still didn't work!

Went back on web chat this morning. They are very slow and keep getting me to double check passwords, ask me to do pin reset, check I'm not putting WiFi password in.  Ask if I'm doing http:// or https:// (tried both) after being online with them for an hour, they were about to take my router serial number.. but I had to leave the chat as had to goto a work meeting. Will try again later and see if I can get straight to the serial number part! Is there a human I can physically talk to - as web chat seems slow. (Sorry long post!)

Jayach

Wow that's a long way of doing a full reset, I'm sure mine resets with just a 10 second push.

The only way to speak to anyone I know of is to ring 08080 034 515 for Home Broadband support (free from all UK landlines and mobiles).

Have you logged in before and did you change the password?

Yeah, thats the thing, I'm not 100% if I have or not! I'm pretty sure I haven't, but I know I definitely did my previous one before I switched to Vodafone. 

Thanks for the number 

Jayach

Two things come to mind. The password consists of 12 upper and lower case letters and numbers, are you sure you're not confusing a lower case l with a 1(or vice versa),

Have you tried with a different browser? (O.K. not likely but worth a try)

I will double check the 1/l issue also o and 0 can sometimes catch people out. 

I have tried in both Chrome and Firefox.

Well, I have checked the letters numbers, and there are no misleading characters in the password that could catch you out, they are all pretty obvious like A or H etc.

I am still seeking a solution for this, have been on numerous web chats, which either end because (I suspect the agent is cutting me off) or they just go silent. I send messages to ask if they are still there etc and after 10 mins or so of not getting a reply, just close down the chat! I am also exchanging messages with the Vodafone Facebook Messenger team, they appear to be slightly more helpful, however no one in the team has yet managed to resolve this for me, and they are reluctant to send me a new router!

I am now starting to get ##~## off with them though now, as their chat is starting to dry up as they run out of ideas. I'm also getting annoyed with having to repeat myself and explain the issue and the various things I have tried. Also, the 48 hour security refresh - only a small niggle - but that is adding to the frustration too, as it takes quite a while for them to respond to a message, so when 48 hours passes, I need to pass security again and they ask me the same questions - which if I were to lose my phone, someone could quite easily read through the chat and relay my previous answers! - but it's extra annoying as when I respond back with my answers, I then have to wait for them to confirm before they assist again.

I've sent screen shots to show I have loaded the correct page, and further screen shots showing the error message I get when I input the password. Also, was asked to send screen shots of my connection plugged into the test port!

Admittedly, I haven't rang the phone number as yet, a quick Google search told me the contact centre are based offshore, so assume it's likely going to be the same team of agents that help on the web chats. Plus, I imagine it will mean having to explain my issue again, and I imagine they will ask the same questions / get me to reapeat the same actions etc.

Things I have been asked/tried to do: (all have not worked):

• Ensure I am inputting correct password from underside of router and not the WiFi password
  • Tested via http://192.168.1.1 AND https://192.168.1.1  - one agent said that this will surely make a difference! As far as i'm aware, directly typing the IP address number without the http part should make no difference.
  • Soft reset the router - place pin in for 30 seconds and let router re-boot
  • Hard reset of router - place pin in and remain pressed whilst I wait for 30 secs, unplug power, wait for 30 secs, re-plug in power, wait another 30 secs. - all lights flashed red - etc but - didn't work.
  • Tried via Ethernet cable and WiFi
  • Tried on mobile and 2x different laptops - told the team the make and model numbers of the devices!
  • Tried in Edge, Chrome, FireFox on Laptops, Chrome and Samsung Internet on mobile
  • Told to re-name my WiFi name and reset that password - what a faff as had to reset Alexa / Sonus / TV / Printer / all other devices etc back up! - bit like resetting clocks after they move forward/back!
  • Told to uninstall the MyBroadband App and re-install it!? - can't see how that would have worked!
  • Was given a random username / password by one agent via the chat to try - they then said this was to try with a 3rd party router? So confused me a little, tried it anyway, and --- yep, didn't work
  • Asked to try password 'vodafone' - - - i've tried vodafone, Vodafone and VODAFONE 
  • One agent said they could see a fault on my line and so told to put my connection into the Test port so they can run further tests, it's been in there for 8 days now! - I've asked if there are any updates on the test results / if there is a fault etc, but not had a response to that query as yet.
  • Latest request is for me to disconnect the router from the power source and leave it unplugged for 6 hours to let all the electricity drain from the unit. - I can't see it working, but will turn the router off when I goto bed tonight, give it a full 8 hours! That should do it, right!?

Is there anyone from Vodafone reading this? Why can't anyone seem to be-able to resolve, and if it can't be, why can't I just have a new router sent out!? I guess this kind of issue doesn't happen too often and when it does, a hard/soft reset usually fixes it. But, after trying all the above and still not getting anywhere! I've worked out its been around 4 weeks now since I initially raised the issue... and since the 3rd December have sent a message every day!

😠:Angry_Face:😤

Jayach

@pezz18 wrote:
  • Told to re-name my WiFi name and reset that password - what a faff as had to reset Alexa / Sonus / TV / Printer / all other devices etc back up! - bit like resetting clocks after they move forward/back!

How did you do that if you can't log into the router?

They sent me a link to a guide on how to do it, and I did it via the Broadband app on my mobile.