Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rockspace Wifi Repeater can't get IP address

Amylittlehands
2: Seeker

Hi there,

I bought a Rockspace wifi repeater as the wifi from my Vodafone router is shocking upstairs (it's in the optimal place, no reflective surfaces near it etc).

The extender can connect to the router fine and is assigned an IP address, but as soon as I try to connect ANY device to the extender it throws up an issue saying "Connected, Not Secured" and "Failed to obtain IP address". The only way to "fix" it is to manually change the IP address on the device, which I have to do very often.

Now, I know this is a 3rd party extender, but I got in touch with their technical support team and they are insistent it is an issue with Vodafone and their IP address assignment.

What can be done please? As during these times I am working from home like everyone else, I need wifi more than ever.

Previous steps taken:

- Completely rebooted AND did factory reset on router and extender

- Spoke with an advisor online and changed the wifi channel and other settings

Please can someone look into this as a matter of urgency? I have done all troubleshooting methods as listed on Vodafones website. This needs actual tech help and not some guides please.

12 REPLIES 12

Cynric
16: Advanced member

When I first got my THG3000 it did odd things when setup as 192.168.0.1 but behaved when 192.168.1.1. Now this was a while ago and the firmware has probably changed since. However it's moot as I have done other things on the local LAN and the THG3000 is effectively a modem.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

If you have the Vodafone THG3000 router it appears, in other threads on this forum, to automatically hunt for what it thinks is the best channel number. I could be that your devices are not following the channel change.

Devices will always connect to the new channel, the problems occur if the channel is 12 or 13 as devices not configured to be set to Europe can't see those channels.

rockspace

hi there, hope you have solved the issue?  If not, here are some tips to help you out.

1.  Go to the Vodafone router page and enable DHCP... DHCP doesn't require you to manually configure IP settings.   this will help you to solve the "Failed to obtain IP address" issue.
2.  As for "Connected, Not Secured", are you using the latest MAC book or iPhone?  rock space AC1200 dual-band extender supports Mix WPA/WPA2-TKIP to guarantee wifi security. However, the latest MAC book or iPhone with IOS 14 requires WPA2-AES.  It will give you the alert "Connected, Not Secured" when it encounters WPA2-TKIP.  It is not a security issue. It is a compatibility issue. You can ignore this alert. 
Hope this reply can help you solve the problem. WiFi products are with some complex configurations and we endeavor to make it easier for our customers. thanks for choosing rock space.
for more information about AES, read this article:https://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Advanced-Encryption-Standard

for more information about WAP2, read this article:  https://www.pandasecurity.com/en/mediacenter/security/wpa-vs-wpa2/

For more information about rock space product support, visit here https://rockspacewifi.com/pages/help-center