Ask

Solution

Router USB share file system media hub help

javanerd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello 

I saw a similar post, but it did not answer the question

I have plugged a 32gb usb stick into the back of my router and have activated the share function.  When copying the link to my PC I can see the following structure.  I created the Documents folder to be able to share files around my network.

javanerd_0-1612264016641.png

the interesting thing is that when I look onto my LG TV I see that the device has been recognised and shows the structure below.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

Has anyone got any idea as to how to add content to these folders.  I am thinking that putting some videos in here and maybe using a bigger USB stick to stream content.  Please can anyone help on the structure????

15 REPLIES 15

If the laptop is turned on, I can access my library through any other device on Plex. If the laptop is off, I can't. My problem really is if I have to turn the laptop on I may as well stream or cast direct from the laptop!

I have access to the external drive through VLC but the interface is slower and not as good as Plex, but at least I don't have to have the laptop on.

I tried to install Plex direct to the external hard drive but it wouldn't do it, so back to square one on that one!

Jayach
16: Advanced member

That's presumably because the laptop is the Plex server. Without that the Plex clients have nothing to connect to.

Indeed - hence I tried to install it to the external hard drive but it wouldn't work - just said there was an error.

Jayach

Theoretically, it should be possible to install the Linux version on the router, but it just wouldn't have the processing power or memory enough to run it.

CrimsonLiar

Depending on the CPU extensions Plex can be pretty lightweight, stressing out hardware when it's rebuilding libraries more than even running a couple of simultaneous streams.  The CPU in the THG3000 could probably handle it (just) if it wasn't for the lack of memory.  Even when something is possible though, there may be better ways to do it, hence using a Raspberry Pi to run Plex and a few other lightweight apps.

@AlexRoss64 wrote:

Yeah I've been pretty impressed overall, it's just currently I need to have the laptop turned on to access the external HDD connected to my router - I want to be able to access it when the laptop is turned off! The struggle continues...

That's actually pretty interesting!  Depending on how SMB is implemented there'll be a "Master Browser".  Now the Master Browser will usually be the router or whatever device is managing a subnet, but it doesn't have to be, and if no device steps forwards as the Master Browser then you get problems!

See https://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/4/RH-DOCS/rhel-rg-en-4/s1-samba-network-browsing.html (goodness knows how old that page is, but so far as I'm aware it's still correct!  *If a windows PC attempts to access a SMB share and there is no Master Browser then it'll take on that role.