cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

So you can't actually use VOIP phones with Gigafast?

GavEldred
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Yeah, I know everyone is getting Gigafast for the Internet speed and I'm the same.

Unfortunately, the landline is pretty important in my household and not something we can afford to lose.

It seems though that the only option is to use an analogue phone, plug it into the RJ11 adapter and then plug it into one of the two "Tel" ports on the phone. How exactly are you meant to use an actual VOIP phone like the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yealink-Bundle-Package-Handset-Station-Black/dp/B076WVZY2P/ref=sr_1_8?dchil...

All VOIP phones use an RJ45 connector. If you buy an RJ45 to RJ11 connector and try to connect it and use the details Vodafone give you, it doesn't work. If you talk to any of the VOIP phone manufacturers, they'll tell you that it has to be plugged into the LAN port as it's treated as a network device. But if you plug it into the LAN port, you'll still have no luck and Vodafone will just say to use the RJ11 port.

Plus, even if by some miracle it worked in the TEL/RJ11 port, what do I do if I want to use my own router? RJ11 ports aren't exactly common on routers and I'm guessing that Vodafone have some kind of lock on the line that requires a thg3000 to pass the call through.

9 REPLIES 9

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@GavEldred wrote:

All VOIP phones use an RJ45 connector.. If you talk to any of the VOIP phone manufacturers, they'll tell you that it has to be plugged into the LAN port as it's treated as a network device. But if you plug it into the LAN port, you'll still have no luck

Have you actually tried to use a VOIP phone via one of the Lan ports?

I can't imagine it won't work. Obviously you will need another VOIP supplier as you will not be able to use the Vodafone service (at least not yet, there is always hope) but it should work.

Yep, I've tried it already.

As for using another provider, well, that kind of defeats the point. I don't want to spend more money on another provider for a service that Vodafone should already be providing.

Jayach

@GavEldred wrote:

As for using another provider, well, that kind of defeats the point. I don't want to spend more money on another provider for a service that Vodafone should already be providing.

They are providing it, but it currently need to be via the TEL ports on their router. You should be able to use a DECT phone if you want more convenience.

Except DECT phones use RJ45, not RJ11 which the TEL ports are and an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter doesn't actually work.

Plus, still doesn't solve the issue of using your own router. Or even plugging in your phone to a network switch to avoid it being in the same room as the router.

Literally every other VOIP provider in the world uses the LAN port. Why is Vodafone making it so complicated for everyone?

Jayach

@GavEldred wrote:

Except DECT phones use RJ45, not RJ11 which the TEL ports are and an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter doesn't actually work.

Plus, still doesn't solve the issue of using your own router. Or even plugging in your phone to a network switch to avoid it being in the same room as the router.

Literally every other VOIP provider in the world uses the LAN port. Why is Vodafone making it so complicated for everyone?

No the DECT phone base unit will have a standard BT telephone socket on the end of its cable, as they would normally plug into a standard  home telephone socket. Using the supplied adapter you can then connect it to the TEL sockets on the router.

The actual hand sets would therefore not need to be in the same room as the router.

I am not sticking up for Vodafone (God forbid), but it's not as bad as you suggest and most users who come to Vodafone want a simple "plug it in and go" solution which doesn't require buying new phones. They're are also unlikely to want to use their own router.

@GavEldred wrote:

an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter doesn't actually work.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting an RJ11 to BT socket doesn't work.

The RJ11 TEL sockets are not network sockets so no an RJ45 to RJ11 wont work.

Yes it does lots of people are using them. One should have been supplied (but often isn't) so the suggested one to use is https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Rhinocables®-Socket-Telephone-Adaptor-White/dp/B00EVS5UZ2/

EDIT: I must admit I am not on Gigafast (not available here) and have no proof a DECT system will work, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't as standard analog phones have the same interface, and they work.

Sorry, my bad. Got confused between DECT and IP since I primarily work with the latter for work.

IP phones have features that DECT onea don't. It's one of the selling points of VOIP.

IP phones use only RJ45. 

Jayach

@GavEldred wrote:

IP phones have features that DECT onea don't. It's one of the selling points of VOIP.

That is certainly true, but Gigafast is primarily aimed at the consumer market where such features are not necessarily expected. I'm not sure Vodafone say that the phone service on Gigafast is VOIP (although we all know it is). The site is down for maintenance at the moment so I can't check.

I wonder just what they offer on the Business plans?

Why would vodafone consider a modern consumer market does not use their own routers and want to use their landline in conjunction with that.

they do not make it clear at the point of sale of full fibre you cannot use your own router in conjunction with their landline packages.

they need to address this issue. the simplest way is to update the vodafone router to have a pass hrough or modem only mode. forcing people to dual nat is not an appropriate solution. Otherwise they need to come up with a hardware solution

Jayach

You can't really have a modem only mode, when you are not using the modem.

You are totally free to use a VoIP phone, just not with Vodafone's call service. (although some seem to have managed it) Re: Landline phone with own router on FTTP - Page 2 - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

The call costs associated with an alternative VoIP provider will probably be less than Vodafone's as well.