cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Split SSID Bands (Vodafone Pro Broadband)

ghh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Seen other threads about this also, why is this feature disabled exactly? If the service is called (Pro) then why restrict access to simple things like 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz splitting to give the user more control over their own broadband.

If anyone knows a way around this please reply.

Also if anyone has had success using their own router from an ethernet port in the Vodafone router whilst disabling wifi - but still having a phone line connected to the Vodafone router - let me know.

3 REPLIES 3

Jayach
16: Advanced member

They restrict the options because they think their firmware is more intelligent than you. (No, makes no sense to me either)

No problem using a router from the LAN ports, but use it in Access Point mode if you want to avoid double NAT.

Cool, so turning wifi off on the Vodafone router and connecting a new router via ethernet would work seamlessly? Same for if a phone line is currently connected to the Vodafone one but I use my own router for everything else?

CrimsonLiar

Connecting your own router in Access Point mode leaves the Vodafone router to handle connection creation and management, but lets you do whatever you want within the capabilities of the WiFi on your own router - including setting (and splitting) the SSID(s).  You may well find that the Deco is a bit more intelligent and that managing its bands better removes the need to split the SSIDs!

*There are often other ways to force "band steering".  On devices you can often disable one of the radios, so they only work on a single band, or on the router, you can filter by mac address.